Giant prehistoric krakens may have sculpted selfportraits using ichthyosaur bone

Started by jimmy olsen, October 11, 2011, 03:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 11, 2011, 09:26:16 PM
I wish Hamilcar were here for comment. :( 

He'd say the shonisaurs deserved to do for swimming so close to a kraken. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2011, 09:21:26 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 11, 2011, 09:03:33 PM
Maybe it really was Cthulhu.

It's as good a theory as proposed here.  I fully expect Brazen post about shoddy journalism, and Viking to post that this isn't really science.  It's like an April Fools joke.  I didn't think that Tim was that credulous.
I said it was cool, I didn't say it was right. :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 11, 2011, 09:37:56 PM

It's as good a theory as proposed here.  I fully expect Brazen post about shoddy journalism, and Viking to post that this isn't really science.  It's like an April Fools joke.  I didn't think that Tim was that credulous.
We'll be the judge of that.
PDH!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 11, 2011, 09:37:56 PM

That a scientist posited that an imaginary creature performed a human act? Sounds like an anthropomorphism fantasy. :x

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Maybe if this was the Soviet Union, Raz could be in charge of handing out the scientist licenses.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 11, 2011, 10:22:48 PM
Maybe if this was the Soviet Union, Raz could be in charge of handing out the scientist licenses.  :mad:

In Soviet Russia, scientist license hands out you.

:(

Grinning_Colossus

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/10/the-giant-prehistoric-squid-that-ate-common-sense.ars

This guy thinks he should have his science license revoked:

QuoteThere is no direct evidence for the existence of the animal the McMenamins call "the kraken." No exceptionally preserved body, no fossilized tentacle hooks, no beak—nothing. The McMenamins' entire case is based on peculiar inferences about the site. It is a case of reading the scattered bones as if they were tea leaves able to tell someone's fortune. Rather than being distributed through the bonebed by natural processes related to decay and preservation, the McMenamins argue that the Shonisaurus bones were intentionally arrayed in a "midden" by a huge cephalopod nearly 100 feet long (how the length of the imaginary animal was estimated is anyone's guess).

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Brazen

I fully expect Brazen post about shoddy journalism
Shoddy journalism, half-arsed research and no interview from an opposing viewpoint.

My amateur theory is that the icthyosaurs were eaten by something which shat out in the bones in the shape of giant dino-turds. I think that holds more water than the "expert" theory.

KRonn

Maybe these intelligent Krakens are human kind's missing link after all!   ;)

Malthus

Sorta reminds me of David Macaulay's Motel of the Mysteries. Archaeologists of the future excavate a 20th century motel buried in some sort of catastrophy and perfectly preserved - and hilariously misinterpret everything they find.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on October 12, 2011, 09:14:39 AM
Sorta reminds me of David Macaulay's Motel of the Mysteries. Archaeologists of the future excavate a 20th century motel buried in some sort of catastrophy and perfectly preserved - and hilariously misinterpret everything they find.  ;)

Maybe we did the samething & the pyramids were just Hotels.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.