Monitors. How big is too big?

Started by Lucidor, October 11, 2011, 01:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

Dear Languish!

Having upgraded monitor size every time I get a new one, and spotting a 27 inch on sale for 200 euros, I realize prices have dropped enough to contemplate getting a larger screen.

I now own a Samsung 205BW a 20 inch 1680 x 1050.

I sit at about standard range from the screen - about 70-90 cm? The dpi seems about right.

Should I go 24 inch 1980p resolution, or is 27 inch the way to go? I don't want to get a headache playing shooters, but I'd love a larger screen when browsing and playing Civ.

Grey Fox

27 inches is when it starts to get ridiculous.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

I've got a 27" 2560x1440 Dell. It is great if you will take advantage of huge resolutions or desktop space (games, CAD, 3d design, coding, medical imaging, etc). That been said, many people can't read shit on my monitor. :P

Viking

I've got 24" and want bigger... if I didn't actually need my TV for other things I'd have a 38" screen.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

I want a 27" monitor.  Don't think it's ridiculous at all.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

35" or larger.

At some point it makes good sense to have two displays. I have a 22" for the main display and a 19" for the secondary.  That way I can play Civ or some other game and have a movie going at the same time. 
PDH!

Lucidor

Quote from: Iormlund on October 11, 2011, 07:24:10 AM
I've got a 27" 2560x1440 Dell. It is great if you will take advantage of huge resolutions or desktop space (games, CAD, 3d design, coding, medical imaging, etc). That been said, many people can't read shit on my monitor. :P

How does it play shooters? I'm afraid of having too large screen when I sit at the desk.

Lucidor

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 11, 2011, 12:14:24 PM
35" or larger.

At some point it makes good sense to have two displays. I have a 22" for the main display and a 19" for the secondary.  That way I can play Civ or some other game and have a movie going at the same time. 

Great idea! I'll save the 20 inch... I need a larger desk!

Iormlund

Quote from: Lucidor on October 11, 2011, 01:26:29 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 11, 2011, 07:24:10 AM

How does it play shooters? I'm afraid of having too large screen when I sit at the desk.

The only noticeable difference is I get to play at 2560x 1440 res (you need a nice card to handle it though).

Quote from: Lucidor on October 11, 2011, 01:27:10 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 11, 2011, 12:14:24 PM
35" or larger.

Great idea! I'll save the 20 inch... I need a larger desk!

It works best with twin setups, but I've run dual monitors at work and at home for a decade. I've got a 20" 1600x 1200 in addition to the 27". I used to run 2 of those, but the three monitors were just a bit too much so I gave one away to my mum.

Alcibiades

Been considering getting a 27 myself, have a 24 right now.

This one is on sale today and tomorrow for $240, really considering getting it : 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016155

My other choice is this Samsung for $299 on sale till tomorrow as well.   

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001481

Anyone have a good opinion on either?  Otherwise may wait until Black Friday, something decent should be on sale.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Neil

There's nothing wrong with a larger monitor.  That said, I'm perfectly happy with my 24.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maladict

I care more about resolution than size. My laptop can display 1900x1200 on a 15.4 inch screen, I'd love have two of those screens as dual monitors for my desktops. Nobody will make them, of course  <_<

Lucidor

At my age, I'm quite satisfied with senile friendly large dots, thank you. Not that I'm old, but I can't read small print like at 15 any more.