News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Topeka Decriminalizes Domestic Violence

Started by jimmy olsen, October 08, 2011, 08:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Now that you guys mention it, I've never pumped gas myself.

I only use the car for commuting or short work-related travels and there's a gas station right on my way home where they don't let you pump it yourself. I've never been interested in learning any maintenance stuff either.

It's funny because OTOH I know a lot more about how the engine, the ECU or the differential works than most people.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2011, 05:29:03 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2011, 05:25:39 PM
All those parts I eventually figured out when I had to fill up once in New York.  The one part I didn't figure out was how to keep the trigger stuck, so as soon as I released it, it stopped flowing.  By that point I already got a gallon of gas in, which was enough to make it to New Jersey.

That's because you can't. Both Massachusetts and New York made it illegal to keep those lock mechanisms in place. You have to hold the trigger the whole time.
:hmm:  Good to know, thanks.  So, in any other state, is the trigger automatically sticking, or does it have some thingy to stick it?

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on October 08, 2011, 05:32:11 PM

I only use the car for commuting or short work-related travels and there's a gas station right on my way home where they don't let you pump it yourself. I've never been interested in learning any maintenance stuff either.

It's funny because OTOH I know a lot more about how the engine, the ECU or the differential works than most people.
:yes: Same with me, more or less.  Knowing how the car works, and how to do basic maintenance stuff, is like knowing how to program and how to assemble a computer.  Those two skills aren't really as related as one would think.

Ideologue

This staggering lack of basic, First World aptitude on the part of DG and garbon has cheered me up immensely.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2011, 05:32:57 PM
:hmm:  Good to know, thanks.  So, in any other state, is the trigger automatically sticking, or does it have some thingy to stick it?

There's a little locking mechanism that you need to drop down from the handle and lock on one of the trigger ratchets.

Don't worry about overflowing, it still kicks off when you're full.

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2011, 05:34:11 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 08, 2011, 05:32:11 PM

:yes: Same with me, more or less.  Knowing how the car works, and how to do basic maintenance stuff, is like knowing how to program and how to assemble a computer.  Those two skills aren't really as related as one would think.

I dunno.  I don't know how to program anything, but I do know how to plug my computer into the wall outlet.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

sbr

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2011, 05:29:03 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2011, 05:25:39 PM
All those parts I eventually figured out when I had to fill up once in New York.  The one part I didn't figure out was how to keep the trigger stuck, so as soon as I released it, it stopped flowing.  By that point I already got a gallon of gas in, which was enough to make it to New Jersey.

That's because you can't. Both Massachusetts and New York made it illegal to keep those lock mechanisms in place. You have to hold the trigger the whole time.

There is usually a little catch at the back of the nozzle that grabs the trigger and holds it it.  I know that even though I live in one of the states where I can't pump my own gas.  :showoff:

garbon

No, there's always something you have to do. At some gas stations, there is a latch that you have to move, at others there is a little groove that you need align part of the trigger with, and then I remember seeing one other type once but I can't remember what it was.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 05:34:54 PM
This staggering lack of basic, First World aptitude on the part of DG and garbon has cheered me up immensely.

Me? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2011, 05:37:12 PM

You couldn't figure out how to open a gas cap.  (And I didn't want to single out Gull.) :hug:

Also, fahdiz might not be around, but fuck that guy and his filthy full-service state.  Might as well employ people to dig holes in the ground and another group to fill them back up again.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

I remember grabon telling us he called AAA to change a flat once.

PDH

Here in Wyoming we not only pump our own gas, we shoot people from New Jersey who pull up at the station.  Oregonians we don't shoot, because eastern part of the state is like Wyoming.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 05:38:16 PM

You couldn't figure out how to open a gas cap.  (And I didn't want to single out Gull.) :hug:

Also, fahdiz might not be around, but fuck that guy and his filthy full-service state.  Might as well employ people to dig holes in the ground and another group to fill them back up again.
You're a marxist, don't you love programs like that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 05:38:16 PM

I was being generous. The Nissan didn't have an internal mechanism to let the door open and while the door was supposedly touch sensitive - it was stuck. I spent a good 10 minutes pounding on the thing to finally get it to randomly spring open.

I don't think with the amount of driving that I've done - that I could fairly be said to not know how to pump gas. ;)

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2011, 05:40:02 PM
I remember grabon telling us he called AAA to change a flat once.

I've had AAA put my baby tire on before. If I'm paying for a service, why would I want to get dirty (and more importantly in my opinion) run the risk of getting hit by a passerby on the side of the road? :huh: