Main Menu

Topeka Decriminalizes Domestic Violence

Started by jimmy olsen, October 08, 2011, 08:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 12:09:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2011, 11:52:29 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 10:26:10 AM
Quote"The city of Topeka just said domestic violence is legal and you can beat your wife," said Dombrowski.

No they didn't.  Unless they've lifted assault and battery laws as well, which means Topeka ho!

Weren't such laws enacted though because of the tendency of police not to make arrests in such cases?

http://www.policefoundation.org/pdf/minneapolisdve.pdf

Yeah, in part.  Although the prosecution of CDVs strikes me as more of a societal sea change the mechanical application of black letter law.  And in any event, it's a far cry from decriminalizing it, unless, again, they also attached an amendment to their A + B statute.

You know what else is weird?  I can't speak for Kansas, but I know in SC, the CDV laws were enacted at a state level, not as local laws.  Oh, wait, I looked it up!  Kansas, shock of shocks, did too.  So unless the Kansas state legislature repealed Sec. 21-3412a (I don't know how to cite Kansas code), CDV is still pretty illegal.

If Kansas is like most states, the prosecutors who normally prosecute violations of state laws are selected at the county level.  I don't think it's particularly uncommon that they won't bother prosecuting certain misdemeanors (unless they are attached to a felony case), leaving enforcement of those laws to local municipalities.  If that's the case in Kansas as well, the only unusual things here is the prosecutor declining to prosecute all misdemeanors, and for some reason the local municipality is trying to force him to prosecute at least some misdemeanors.  Whether Topeka is just grandstanding or there's something else behind their stance, I can't tell.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2011, 01:34:01 PM
Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2011, 01:10:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 08, 2011, 01:08:32 PM
Is Kansas the most shithole state of the US or are there worse?
They have anti-abortion Bible quotes lined up in fields along the road. Just sayin'
Crazy Christian lunatics still make better neighbours than most Americans though.  Just imagine what it would be like to live near some criminal blacks or Mexicans.   Imagine if Siegebreaker were stalking your streets, looking for young girls to abuse.  Imagine if CdM was your neighbour, and he was always throwing unpunched wargames and punched prostitutes in your backyard.  Think about how you would feel to wake up every morning to the dulcet tones of Berkut screaming into a megaphone that you're a liar.

I think that just indicates it would be bad to live next door to Languish.  Imagine a cul-de-sac where all the members of Languish lived.  Then one normal family lived there.  It's be like a living hell for that guy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2011, 03:10:56 PM
I think that just indicates it would be bad to live next door to Languish.  Imagine a cul-de-sac where all the members of Languish lived.  Then one normal family lived there.  It's be like a living hell for that guy.

I don't have anything to do with my neighbors.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 08, 2011, 03:21:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2011, 03:10:56 PM

I don't have anything to do with my neighbors.

Neighter do I, but would what would a normal person think of living next to Slargos?

"the neighbors are having a barbecue.  There's  two guys  in yarmulkes out there chatting amiably with a guy in Klansman outfit who responds only with 'Bork!'". 

AnchorClanker

It's not even close.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Neil

Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 08, 2011, 03:32:36 PM
It's not even close.
Where does Oregon rank?  I always thought it would be nice, as a relatively northern state (fewer blacks and Mexicans), with a lower population and lots of greenery.  Sort of like a politically backwards Canada.  Oregon and Washington (with the exception of hipster faggot Seattle and fuck-ugly Spokane) seem like they'd be decent places.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2011, 01:10:07 PM
They have anti-abortion Bible quotes lined up in fields along the road. Just sayin'
You can see that in any southern state.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2011, 03:45:02 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 08, 2011, 03:32:36 PM
It's not even close.
Where does Oregon rank?  I always thought it would be nice, as a relatively northern state (fewer blacks and Mexicans), with a lower population and lots of greenery.  Sort of like a politically backwards Canada.  Oregon and Washington (with the exception of hipster faggot Seattle and fuck-ugly Spokane) seem like they'd be decent places.

There's some truth to that, but OR and WA are *very* divided between urban and rural.  Most people think of the NW as the urban setting with a pristine rural playground, which is true enough in isolation, but false when added together. 
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

DGuller

Oregon is the only state I will move to if I will leave New Jersey for some reason in the future (unless I learn to pump gas by then, in which case any other state would do).

Neil

Well, it would have been a nice place if it weren't overrun by borscht-swilling, moose-and-squirrel-chasing, Obama-loving insurance workers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2011, 04:01:03 PM
Oregon is the only state I will move to if I will leave New Jersey for some reason in the future (unless I learn to pump gas by then, in which case any other state would do).

I really don't understand how they let you drive a car.  It's like all your knowledge of automobiles is purely theoretical.

AnchorClanker

OR and NJ are full service states.  Oregonians aren't allowed to touch the pumps.   :lol:

Neil

How can you not know how to pump gas?  I always thought that Dorsey was a smart guy who sometimes took silly positions, but I guess he's actually a completely useless imbecile.

Razgovory

Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 08, 2011, 04:21:54 PM

OR and NJ are full service states.  Oregonians aren't allowed to touch the pumps.   :lol:

The last full service station in town went out of business a few years back.  They also did shoddy auto-repair.  Only problem was they closed early and all got drunk after about 8 in the evening.  I bought a used car from them once.  It actually was pretty good car.  Unfortunately my tendency to run in to inanimate objects caught up with me.