News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Topeka Decriminalizes Domestic Violence

Started by jimmy olsen, October 08, 2011, 08:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Monstrous!  :mad:

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-advocates-furious-after-topeka-county-da-refuse-to-prosecute-domestic-violence-cases-20110929,0,335903.story
QuoteTOPEKA, Kan.—
Domestic abuse advocates in Topeka are outraged after the Shawnee County District Attorney's Office said that they will no longer be prosecuting domestic violence cases, and now the city of Topeka is talking about repealing its anti-domestic violence law.

Shawnee County prosecutors, dealing with a 10 percent budget cut, told city officials that they will no longer prosecute misdemeanor cases, including domestic violence. The move has left domestic violence victim's advocate Claudine Dombrowski furious, saying that the move leaves victim caught in the middle.

Follow FOX 4 on Facebook

"It's appalling, it's disgusting," said Dombrowski. "A week after this started there were over 30 cases that had been dismissed because the county dropped it on the city, and the city says we can't do it."

Dombrowski says that she was the victim in a "misdemeanor" domestic abuse case 16 years ago - a crowbar strike to the head left her with 24 stitches and two broken wrists. Now, she worries that nothing is being done to protect victims.

"They need to invest in headstones, because these women are going to end up in cemeteries," said Dombrowski.

In an apparent attempt to force the county to prosecute the misdemeanor cases, the city wants to repeal its domestic violence ordinance. The city council will vote on the issue next Tuesday.

"The city of Topeka just said domestic violence is legal and you can beat your wife," said Dombrowski.

Neither the Topeka interim city manager nor the Shawnee County district attorney would talk to FOX 4 about the conflict. The interim city manager had agreed to talk, but then backed out after learning that FOX 4 was talking to Dombrowski.

"No matter how political you want to be, or you want to play hardball with peoples lives, how can you in good conscious say it's okay to repeal domestic battery as a crime in the city of Topeka just so you can get out of prosecuting them," said Dombrowski. "I'm terrified for these women."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

They will change their minds quickly and in short order Tim. No worries.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote"The city of Topeka just said domestic violence is legal and you can beat your wife," said Dombrowski.

No they didn't.  Unless they've lifted assault and battery laws as well, which means Topeka ho!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2011, 10:26:10 AM
Quote"The city of Topeka just said domestic violence is legal and you can beat your wife," said Dombrowski.
No they didn't.  Unless they've lifted assault and battery laws as well, which means Topeka ho!
To be fair, she's a women's rights type.  She's sort of an idiot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Weren't such laws enacted though because of the tendency of police not to make arrests in such cases?

http://www.policefoundation.org/pdf/minneapolisdve.pdf
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2011, 11:52:29 AM

Weren't such laws enacted though because of the tendency of police not to make arrests in such cases?

http://www.policefoundation.org/pdf/minneapolisdve.pdf

Yeah, in part.  Although the prosecution of CDVs strikes me as more of a societal sea change the mechanical application of black letter law.  And in any event, it's a far cry from decriminalizing it, unless, again, they also attached an amendment to their A + B statute.

You know what else is weird?  I can't speak for Kansas, but I know in SC, the CDV laws were enacted at a state level, not as local laws.  Oh, wait, I looked it up!  Kansas, shock of shocks, did too.  So unless the Kansas state legislature repealed Sec. 21-3412a (I don't know how to cite Kansas code), CDV is still pretty illegal.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

That's nothing.  Missouri made rape legal for a while, till someone noticed the screw up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

The prosecutor isn't saying what's legal or what isn't.  He doesn't have the authority to make that determination.  He's a mere lawyer, and as such is pure evil.

What he's saying is that he isn't going to prosecute certain things, which is probably misconduct of some sort.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Is Kansas the most shithole state of the US or are there worse?

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on October 08, 2011, 01:08:32 PM
They have anti-abortion Bible quotes lined up in fields along the road. Just sayin'

Neil

It's still better than Warsaw.  You're not even a person.

But yes, there are shittier.  Ohio.  Alabama.  Massachusetts.  New Hampshire.  Illionois.  Michigan is roughly equal in shittiness.

Neil

Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2011, 01:10:07 PM
They have anti-abortion Bible quotes lined up in fields along the road. Just sayin'
Crazy Christian lunatics still make better neighbours than most Americans though.  Just imagine what it would be like to live near some criminal blacks or Mexicans.   Imagine if Siegebreaker were stalking your streets, looking for young girls to abuse.  Imagine if CdM was your neighbour, and he was always throwing unpunched wargames and punched prostitutes in your backyard.  Think about how you would feel to wake up every morning to the dulcet tones of Berkut screaming into a megaphone that you're a liar.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2011, 01:34:01 PM
Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2011, 01:10:07 PM
Crazy Christian lunatics still make better neighbours than most Americans though.  Just imagine what it would be like to live near some criminal blacks or Mexicans.   Imagine if Siegebreaker were stalking your streets, looking for young girls to abuse.  Imagine if CdM was your neighbour, and he was always throwing unpunched wargames and punched prostitutes in your backyard.  Think about how you would feel to wake up every morning to the dulcet tones of Berkut screaming into a megaphone that you're a liar.
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue