And we're back!

Main Menu

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Started by Caliga, October 05, 2011, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: frunk on October 10, 2011, 08:30:21 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2011, 08:01:47 AM
Once you move away from the whole NYC/Northern Jersey area, I would say jerks are uncommon in business.  I wonder if people from that area have even the faintest touch with reality.

I'm pretty sure jerks in general are not in short supply, so this being a critical skill to being wildly successful in business would tend to make them more common.

There are different kinds of jerks, though.  For example, the kind of jerk who's a drunkand that beats his wife and kids, or the kind of jerk who enjoys spending their time at work trolling internet forums aren't the kind of jerk who's likely to be a highly successful businessman.

DGuller

I have to admit that when I was thinking of jerks, I was also thinking of sociopath executives.  If you look at jerks as people who are openly insensitive, and not sleazebags with a nice smile, then they are not that common in business anymore.  I still think it's silly to say they are rare, though, and even sillier to say that creativity isn't rare.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 10, 2011, 09:24:08 AM
I have to admit that when I was thinking of jerks, I was also thinking of sociopath executives.  If you look at jerks as people who are openly insensitive, and not sleazebags with a nice smile, then they are not that common in business anymore.  I still think it's silly to say they are rare, though, and even sillier to say that creativity isn't rare.

:yes:

I must admit that I'm amazed by this notion that there aren't jerks in business.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I don't think creativity is all that rare.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Being among the very first in a revolutionally new business also helps. But not in elevating you to sainthood for selling consumer electronics, so it is left out of articles.

frunk

Quote from: dps on October 10, 2011, 09:12:22 AM

There are different kinds of jerks, though.  For example, the kind of jerk who's a drunkand that beats his wife and kids, or the kind of jerk who enjoys spending their time at work trolling internet forums aren't the kind of jerk who's likely to be a highly successful businessman.

I don't know if the article specified the type of jerk.