News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Started by Caliga, October 05, 2011, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerbettertech/2011/10/10/steve-jobs-was-a-jerk-good-for-him/

QuoteI am not creative or brilliant.  I work hard.  But I like my vacations, my time watching my kids play sports, the odd nap on a Sunday afternoon too.  I don't think I'm anywhere near as hard a worker as Jobs was.  And I'm not a jerk like Jobs was. Which is the biggest reason why I'm just a moderately successful business guy, and not a super billionaire.   That's because being creative and hard working isn't that uncommon.  Being a jerk is.

:lmfao:  Being a jerk is uncommon?  Sometimes I wonder whether people who write for WSJ or Forbes have the even faintest touch with reality.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on October 10, 2011, 07:27:48 AM
:lmfao:  Being a jerk is uncommon?  Sometimes I wonder whether people who write for WSJ or Forbes have the even faintest touch with reality.
Once you move away from the whole NYC/Northern Jersey area, I would say jerks are uncommon in business.  I wonder if people from that area have even the faintest touch with reality.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2011, 08:01:47 AM
Once you move away from the whole NYC/Northern Jersey area, I would say jerks are uncommon in business.  I wonder if people from that area have even the faintest touch with reality.

Yeah, it is actually kind of funny how quickly people who treat others like shit fail in business.

In fact, I think if anything people are generally probably a bit TOO nice in business, and largely unwilling to just come out and say when others are fucked up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Well, that region is where a lot of the business is located.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

I'm pretty sure jerks in general are not in short supply, so this being a critical skill to being wildly successful in business would tend to make them more common.

The Brain

Ingvar Kamprad isn't a jerk, just a Nazi.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

But he makes the Apple of furniture.   :wub:

The Brain

DGuller

The Brain

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2011, 08:36:38 AM

Well according to wiki, he was only 16 when he joined.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2011, 08:43:56 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2011, 08:36:38 AM

Well according to wiki, he was only 16 when he joined.

It's not when you become a Nazi that matters, it's when you stop being one.

Razgovory

Well, what's him name, the guy who used to post here and was a business man was kind of a jerk.  The guy who got stabbed by all those Dayaks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

bmo was not a jerk. He was a Swede.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2011, 08:50:43 AM
bmo was not a jerk. He was a Swede.

Same thing.  I remember asking the pin cushion if a businessman could be honest, and he said no.  Is he even still alive?