News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Started by Caliga, October 05, 2011, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on October 07, 2011, 07:27:10 AM

No kidding.  Between him and Breast Cancer Month, I'm annoyed with the media.

People are starved for something uplifting to believe in - hence this mushrooming of saints. :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Zoupa

Pancreas cancer: there's an app for that.

Razgovory

Quote from: Gups on October 07, 2011, 07:02:09 AM

There were loads of people buying computers in the early & mid 1980s. Spectrum, Vic 20, Commodore 64, Acorn, Dragon etc. They weren't all that good and they were hugely expensive by today's standards but they sold well. I think they were mainly used for games and because people thought they'd give their kids a headstart.

Some did, most did not. 

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/med_per_com_percap-media-personal-computers-per-capita&date=1985

Using Nation master, There was 106.21 per 1 million people who had a home computer.  324.097 per 1 million people who had a home computer 10 years later.  762.152 per 1 million people 9 years after that (for some reason the US wouldn't show up for 2005).  This seems to indicate that most people didn't have computers in 1985, and the number of computers exploded in the 1990's and 2000's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

He didn't say most people, he said loads of people.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2011, 03:43:08 PM
He didn't say most people, he said loads of people.

Well, I can say "Loads" of people are rapists.  It's not really a useful term.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Monoriu on October 07, 2011, 03:45:41 AM
I think Bill Gates has done a lot more for humanity than Steve Jobs.  Surely more people use Windows, Office and IE, than the number of people who use Macs, iphone, ipad and ipods?  ipad is a nice to have; Windows is indispensable.
Probably.  From what I can see he helped make computers easier to use.  He gave us, for my money, the best gadget of the last 20 years (iPod).  Plus he made the world a slightly more elegant place.  That shouldn't be sniffed at.

RIP :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Looking over that link, I think the number has to be 10621 per million, not 106. Otherwise the number for 2004 is only 762 per million.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Imagine how much different the reaction will be when Bill Gates croaks.

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on October 07, 2011, 04:16:57 PM
I'll mainly remember him for the talking paper clip <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Wasn't he already assassinated back in the 1990's?  http://www.billgatesisdead.com/

Caliga

I'll cry.  I love Bill Gates like all of these hipsters and homos love Jobs.  Also, Gates has done a hell of a lot more for humanity than Jobs did. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Caliga on October 07, 2011, 06:59:20 PM
I'll cry.  I love Bill Gates like all of these hipsters and homos love Jobs.  Also, Gates has done a hell of a lot more for humanity than Jobs did. :)

Well, I tend to think that Microsoft actually has more to do with computers being a common devise in homes now than Apple, but at the same time, Microsoft's business practices are kind of distasteful IMO.

Caliga

I'm talking about Bill Gates, not Microsoft.

dps

To a great extent, Microsoft is Bill Gates, and Apple is (or was, now, I guess) Steve Jobs.

Of course, the reverse isn't necessarily true, which I suppose is your point.

Caliga

Quote from: dps on October 07, 2011, 07:16:03 PM
Of course, the reverse isn't necessarily true, which I suppose is your point.
:yes: