News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Started by Caliga, October 05, 2011, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on October 05, 2011, 07:59:32 PM
Hopefully we can start feeding Apple Cultists to the lions now.
TOO SOON  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grallon

Well that's a shocker!

I wonder if Apple will start losing its edge now that the visionary leader is gone?!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

QuoteStatement from House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

"Steve Jobs was a visionary who changed the way we live, an innovator whose products brought joy to millions, a risktaker who wasn't afraid to challenge the status quo, and an entrepreneur who led one of the most creative companies of our time.

"His sage advice was respected by policymakers on both sides of the aisle. His courageous fight against cancer brought strength to many.

"I hope it is a comfort to those who loved him, especially his family, that so many grieve his loss and are praying for them at this sad time."

Aww
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2011, 07:57:33 PM
Well, he retired because he was near death, so short retirement was a foregone conclusion.

Didn't think it would be that quick.  He must have had a doctor tell him he had less then six months to live or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

That really sucks. :(

I'm no idiot.  I've read the articles, and appreciate that Jobs was generally a jerk in his personal life.  But DAMN he had one hell of a life.

He (along with Woz) starts the personal computer revolution back in the late 70s / early 80s.  That would be enough to cement most people's legacy.  Hell - Woz is still riding that legacy.

But after being forced out of the company he co-founds... he tries again with middling success (NeXT).  He goes into the movie biz and forms the ridiculously successful Pixar.

Then, in one of life's great ironies, NeXT gets bought out by Apple, and he's back at the company he founded.  Apple mid 90s was near death - the stories were about who was going to buy it out and put it out of its misery.

Very, very few CEOs can directly show how they single-handedly changed their company.  Steve Jobs could.  The iMac.  The iPod.  The iPhone.  The iPad.  He single-handedly changed tech, not once, not twice, but multiple times.

Damn - the world could use a few more assholes like Steve Jobs.

May your next life be as insanely great as this one was, El Jobso.

:(

HVC

The disappointment that is the iPhone 4S pushed him over the edge :(

Too soon? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on October 05, 2011, 09:59:54 PM
The disappointment that is the iPhone 4S pushed him over the edge :(

Too soon? :unsure:

Yes.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

Even though I absolutely hate Macs due to my unhappy experience with them in my university, I have to say that he turned one of my greatest childhood dreams into reality.  I had a bunch of CDs and cassettes, and I wanted a way to extract and play only the songs that I liked.  iTunes and iPod probably exceeded my wildest dreams. 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2011, 10:41:05 PM
Mixtape, mix cd?

I did those, and I wasn't too happy about the result.  Often the sound quality declined with the mixtape.  I didn't have the skills or the equipment to do it properly.  I also wanted a more convenient way to manage the songs and play them in different order, add or delete songs etc.  I realise that iTunes is as important as iPod, because it enables me to do all that. 

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Alexandru H.

RIP

A guy that truly understood that people are morons and that they will buy overpriced garbage much easily than cheap, useful stuff.