Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 02, 2011, 06:14:48 PM
It wasn't called champagne was it? Cause if it wasn't from France that would be wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

There is no such thing as Champagne that is not from France and so not only would it be wrong it would also be impossible.

crazy canuck

Quote from: fahdiz on November 02, 2011, 06:18:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 02, 2011, 06:01:32 PM
"corporate greed" is a meaningless catch phrase.

I'm not certain it's meaningless. You might for instance take a look at the notion of using bailout money for executive bonuses at a critical time in the economy and say "hmm, to my peepers, that looks a bit like corporate greed".

Then the chant should be "Executive Greed!" or "Better Corporate Governance!" or "Power to the Shareholders".  But that comes awfully close to suggesting a specific problem and an actual solution...

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 02, 2011, 06:09:48 PMFirst they would have to have a message.

"The system is fucked and regular folks are getting shafted" isn't a message?

QuoteGlad you liked the wine.

Me too :)

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 02, 2011, 06:22:49 PM
Then the chant should be "Executive Greed!" or "Better Corporate Governance!" or "Power to the Shareholders".  But that comes awfully close to suggesting a specific problem and an actual solution...

I'm not suggesting it's the best chant. I'm suggesting it's not of necessity meaningless.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2011, 06:30:45 PM

It's as much of a message as shouting "I'm unhappy" is a message.

To answer your previous question, the bare minimum for a reasonable protest IMO is one that advocates for or against a specific *policy.*  Get out of Iraq, don't raise tuition, decrease taxes--at least these tell you what the protesters want you to do.

Of course that leaves aside the issue that most protests are simplistic and infantile, but at least that's a start.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2011, 06:36:17 PM
It's as much of a message as shouting "I'm unhappy" is a message.

To answer your previous question, the bare minimum for a reasonable protest IMO is one that advocates for or against a specific *policy.*  Get out of Iraq, don't raise tuition, decrease taxes--at least these tell you what the protesters want you to do.

Of course that leaves aside the issue that most protests are simplistic and infantile, but at least that's a start.

What if there are multiple issues compounding the problem, though?
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fahdiz on November 02, 2011, 06:40:44 PM

Then you write an editorial or a book.  You don't chant a hundred slogans one after another while waiving a hundred different placards.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2011, 06:44:40 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on November 02, 2011, 06:40:44 PM

Then you write an editorial or a book.  You don't chant a hundred slogans one after another while waiving a hundred different placards.

You could have said this during the Tea Party rallies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 06:45:48 PM
You could have said this during the Tea Party rallies.

I must have missed the four week thread on Tea Party rallies.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2011, 06:36:17 PMIt's as much of a message as shouting "I'm unhappy" is a message.

I dunno. In a place where the government is by the people, for the people I think the fact that significant number of people are unhappy is an important message.

QuoteTo answer your previous question, the bare minimum for a reasonable protest IMO is one that advocates for or against a specific *policy.*  Get out of Iraq, don't raise tuition, decrease taxes--at least these tell you what the protesters want you to do.

You genuinely don't have any notions what would make the protesters less unhappy?

QuoteOf course that leaves aside the issue that most protests are simplistic and infantile, but at least that's a start.

We can get back to that in a bit, if you'd like.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2011, 06:47:27 PMI must have missed the four week thread on Tea Party rallies.

You don't recall languish discussion of tea party rallies? Or where the threads just too short to qualify?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2011, 06:30:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 02, 2011, 06:09:48 PMFirst they would have to have a message.

What system is fucked?  What regular folks are getting shafted?

The US system.  People in the US?  The Canadian system which is heavily subsidizing the education of most of the people I see outside my window?  How exactly are they getting shafted?