Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2011, 10:43:45 AMReally? What effect has street protest had in actually changing anything over the last few years?
I think the Tea Party radically changed the debate in the US.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2011, 10:47:35 AM

Funny, I thought they did that by grass-roots vote organizing and in effect infiltrating the Republican party.

Now I learn that they did that by protesting in the streets and getting "the man" to heed them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2011, 10:43:45 AMReally? What effect has street protest had in actually changing anything over the last few years?

Yeah, but not by incoherent babbling in giant mobs at random locations.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on November 01, 2011, 05:44:05 PM
It will look better when you have him join the random grumbler-bashing. 

There was nothing random in my bashing. :hug:

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

We're not talking about abortion anymore at least. There's that silver lining.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2011, 02:44:50 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 02, 2011, 01:58:04 PM
Not for the better.

Disagree.  The deficit is an issue now.  Before it wasn't.

Similarly, "corporate greed" and "irresponsible regulations" are issues now too; at least for the moment.

fhdz

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 02, 2011, 02:38:33 PM
We're not talking about abortion anymore at least. There's that silver lining.

Boy, isn't that the fucking truth?
and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

I've been talking about aborting the Tea Party for the past six months.  Dibs on the skull scissors.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2011, 10:53:32 AM

Actually, that's exactly what it was.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 03:13:51 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2011, 10:53:32 AM

Yes, if you define a voting place as a "random location".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 03:13:51 PM

It's actually only a portion of what it was. The random mobs were able to mobilize voters and affect a real change. That change may or may not have been beneficial overall, but there was a much more concrete outcome than what we've seen out of OWS so far.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2011, 03:36:37 PM

There hasn't been an election since this new movement came along.  Before the 2010 election there were lots of incoherent rambling in rallies across the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 04:38:34 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2011, 03:36:37 PM

There hasn't been an election since this new movement came along.  Before the 2010 election there were lots of incoherent rambling in rallies across the US.

What the Tea Party engages in is basically the process of politics as usual - rallies to mobilize support, getting sympathetic candidates nominated, etc.

In contrast, the whole point of demonstrations and "occupations" is that they are an alternative to politics as usual - an attempt to get the message out by way of direct action.

The reason the latter is less successful and influentual than the former is simple, and amply demonstrated by the contrast between the two movements: both are, to be blunt, portrayed as crazies by their opponents; but this doesn't matter nearly as much, where what you wish to do is exercise power through the political process - if you have enough like-minded "crazies" to vote your way.

It matters a lot where you are attempting to directly influence a hostile audience (in this case, allegedly "the man" or "ivory tower elites"). If the "man" or "elites" can successfully characterize your protest as the work of some dumpster-diving, tattooed professional anarchists, beggars and crazies, you have lost. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius