Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Miliband is ok, he is a bit like Raz but doesn't seem to be as intelligent  :huh:

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 21, 2011, 07:50:29 PM
What makes Miliband so bad?
Garbo's right.  The extraordinary thing is that he was meant to be able to 'speak human', unlike David.  I think the party mistook being able to speak to small Labour clubs with all of the peculiarities they contain for a human touch.

The other thing is he I think recognises that this is a time for someone to articulate a grand vision, but he's at best a policy wonk - every inch a career politician - so you've got someone talking Beveridge while discussing widget regulations.  I think he's simply a narrow, little man leading the opposition and it makes me despair. 

Not that the government are much better.  I'm sick of every policy announcement being prefaced with 'the most revolutionary change since...'

Right now I yearn for the gravity and heft of Gordon :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 21, 2011, 08:11:39 PM
Miliband is ok, he is a bit like Raz but doesn't seem to be as intelligent  :huh:
I think if Labour wanted to go left they should have gone for Ed Balls.  Instead they went for an option that, even during the leadership election, was about combining the political instincts of Balls with the charm of a Miliband.  It's madness.

Edit:  Not that I can think of many other Labour politicians who I think'd do better - I actually think Balls might be better.  It's the same with the Tories and Lib Dems.  All parties just seem devoid of any real substance at the top.

Whenever I see Ken Clarke I think he must be like some enormous wounded mastadon bellowing round the cabinet table.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I appreciate what you are saying about Brown btw. A disaster in many respects, but at least a man with some substance and ideology. If I was on the interview panel and we were appointing for the job of manager of the Cockermouth branch of a minor building society I might.........just might.......consider Miliband for the post.

That rabble competing for the republican nomination are no better btw............ye Gods!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2011, 08:14:00 PM
Not that the government are much better.  I'm sick of every policy announcement being prefaced with 'the most revolutionary change since...'
That's the weakness of a minority government at work.  The spin doctors feel the need to sell everything to the extreme.  We saw the same thing in Canada when the minority Conservatives were weak, although that wasn't very often.  Our Tories governed like they had a majority for most of their minority years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 21, 2011, 08:20:08 PM
That rabble competing for the republican nomination are no better btw............ye Gods!
Looking at the leading candidates, I think of Miliband as being what Romney would be like if someone stole his charisma.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 21, 2011, 08:20:08 PM
If I was on the interview panel and we were appointing for the job of manager of the Cockermouth branch . . .

Surely Balls would be the choice for that job as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Jesus, I feel really sorry for the poor bastard.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2011, 09:01:21 AM

Jesus, I feel really sorry for the poor bastard.

:D

I think he is probably quite a nice fellow btw, but future PM.....well, one hopes for a bit more.

Yes, unlike Balls.......who is an unprincipled bruiser...........I'd send him north of the border and hope for Scottish independence  :mad:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 21, 2011, 10:29:47 AM
However, it appears that St. Paul's has been obliged to close, some elf'n-safety bs :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15406865

Time for the protestors to move on.
Looks like the health and safety was really just an excuse (my guess is that it was the norm and actually just a killjoy with a clipboard, nothing to do with real worries about liability).  See this rather long post by the New Statesman's legal blogger:
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2011/10/health-safety-cathedral-camp
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Like what happens in Oakland - the most recent protest ended with tear gas.

I'm not sure if it is because of Oakland's ethnic makeup but I saw one news source say that the revolution was televised in Oakland. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.