Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2011, 12:13:20 PM
I share his hostility.  There are just too many things in life (like working, spending time with family, sports, etc.) more worthwhile than protesting.  Plus, protesters tend to be annoying, self-righteous, and often out of touch with the people they are trying to bring over to their way of thinking.

That's not to say that protesting is never worthwhile.  It just isn't in this case & many others.

Do you share that hostility in regards to the tea party and similar protests with whom you find more ideological agreement? Or is this a blanket "protesters suck" kind of thing?

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2011, 12:00:03 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 21, 2011, 10:29:47 AMTime for the protestors to move on.
Yep :(

QuoteDespite being a liberal, I think I may have the heart of a conservative.  I don't like radical change, or protests, or mobs and the like.  Hell, I tend to order the same thing to eat every time I go out.
Conservatism's a temperament as well as an ideology.  If anything the two don't really go well together.

I don't get your hostility to protests though :mellow:

I see it as similar to the Tea Party thing.  I didn't care for them either.  Generally speaking, I don't like protests, but this may be a personal thing.  I don't really care for large crowds in general.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2011, 12:37:50 PM
A good protest is like a gig, or festival.  You're all there for roughly the same reason, there's a nice togetherness and often a good atmosphere.  In my experience you get a similar sort of feeling at the end of it and you've done something to do with an issue you care about.  It's better than the probably more worthwhile and effective letter-writing campaigns you have with Amnesty.

I think the self-congratulatory/self-gratifying element is more than obvious to outsiders. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I participate in a protest march once - we had a specific cause.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2011, 12:54:43 PM

What was it?  March to the other side of town?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

The Minsky Moment

Similarly with the Tea Party.  I think they've got a real point they're trying to make,

What might that be?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

I don't think one should be occupying private property or creating a mess in a public park because it's "fun". To address a grievance I can see even if I find most of them annoyingly self-entitled twats.

Richard Hakluyt

Here in Britain we have the Tory or Labour-lite party, the Labour or Tory-lite party and the Lib-dems who are some curious mix of both................all these parties routinely ignore public opinion........voting in those circumstances seems inadequate and insufficient; I'm not at all surprised that protests are starting to take place.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2011, 01:01:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2011, 12:55:30 PM

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=1000.0

I'm sorry I forgot about your actions 3 years ago.  How foolish of me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2011, 01:01:51 PM
Similarly with the Tea Party.  I think they've got a real point they're trying to make,

What might that be?

They want someone else to bear the burden

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2011, 01:41:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2011, 01:01:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2011, 12:55:30 PM

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=1000.0

I'm sorry I forgot about your actions 3 years ago.  How foolish of me.

:huh:

I just thought it was easier to give you a link to it.

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2011, 12:18:58 PM
A protest march is, very often, just fun.
Why don't they have fun in a way that doesn't horribly inconvenience their fellow citizens and result in large public expenditures?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2011, 01:01:51 PM
What might that be?
Focus on the debt.  Government's a problem.

QuoteHere in Britain we have the Tory or Labour-lite party, the Labour or Tory-lite party and the Lib-dems who are some curious mix of both................all these parties routinely ignore public opinion........voting in those circumstances seems inadequate and insufficient; I'm not at all surprised that protests are starting to take place.
Yeah.  I despair of the government and I had some hopes for them to begin with.  At the same time I don't look at Miliband and think at least we've got a good leader in waiting.  I just feel we're kind-of fucked and Godspeed to any protest about that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2011, 07:46:46 PM
Yeah.  I despair of the government and I had some hopes for them to begin with.  At the same time I don't look at Miliband and think at least we've got a good leader in waiting.  I just feel we're kind-of fucked and Godspeed to any protest about that.
So an end to democracy then?

Now that's a protest I could get behind! :)
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.