Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 02, 2011, 05:43:25 PM
The problem is that they're mostly morons from places like 4Chan.

Actually, it has apparently grown beyond that. Yay. :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Lettow77

Reddit was never much like that. If anything, it's gotten closer to it as memes take the place of news, but its still a very, very different community, and in many respects a worse one.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 02, 2011, 05:17:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 02, 2011, 05:16:25 PM
Who is reddit?  Won't they get hungry if they just hang out there.

Site full of perverts.

You'll have to be more specific than that.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grinning_Colossus

I actually like reddit quite a bit. Subs like r/iama and r/askscience are wonderful, and r/politics reinforces and strengthens my beliefs.  :showoff:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

Quote from: Fireblade on October 02, 2011, 11:09:31 PM
First of all.. oh noez, the poor people of New York had to suffer a minor inconvenience as they drove across the Brooklyn Bridge. Funny, though, that people in the financial "industry" break laws every single day but get rewarded for it. Walk onto the street though? Free trip to the police station.

Poor comparison. At least the world got some use from the financial industry. I'm not sure what benefits are being received from children protesting. (Besides photo ops for Michael Moore)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 02, 2011, 10:48:28 PM
y'all have very different conceptions of reddit than I do.

Too normalfag mainstream really. It isn't, for example, a cozy den like 4chan.

What we can agree on is they are morons, but I would argue they represent John Q Public of the internet to a large degree.
See, that's a problem.  The Languish types don't really dig 4chan.  We're too old for it, and we're not pedophiles or script kiddies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

You gotta wonder if there ever going to be point where all of this blows up.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2011, 10:03:39 AM
I trust you've all seen this site? http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/

How embarassing. Are they really blaming Wall Street for all of those issues?

Well at least this woman does manage to smack on everyone - including the unions.
QuoteI am 32 and worked in customer service for over 15 years. Last job I was wrongfully fired and fought for and won my unemployment in 2009 from a well known corporation. I should have sued but didn't because of my lack of faith in the justice system. My husband, since 2006, works for a union shop for little pay for over 15 years. If we waited to marry as planned I couldn't afford to pay the medical bills. My husband and I can't afford to go to college and our jobs were not flexible with scheduling unless you were in good with someone at the company. I can't afford to pay for the physical therapy needed to treat my fybromyalgia. I have to choose between that, glasses I need or braces my son needs. I have a medical marijuana card for my chronic pain. I don't agree with mainstream medicine but can't afford a holistic doctor. I can't get a job because I am "over qualified" and the jobs out there pay less than my unemployment. We are lucky we inherited a home and have my husband's family living with us soon. They had to take money out of their 401K to pay for repairs on this house. We are lucky the house is big enough for all of us. Myself, my husband and his parents have all had to file bankruptcy. We went into debt fighting for joint custody and won of my step-daughter. Now we are in the process of fighting for full custody of my 14 yr old son, BECAUSE HE WANTS IT. I have been caught in a broken friend of the court system and have to defend myself for my natural approach to treating my pain. I'm a loving, caring mother, wife, sister and friend. I am the 99%.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

No one seems to have told these poor slobs that most of the big banks moved uptown years ago . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2011, 12:01:01 PM
No one seems to have told these poor slobs that most of the big banks moved uptown years ago . . .

I think they have bigger issues: