When the Ottoman flag flew over part of Britain ...

Started by Syt, September 30, 2011, 11:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Siege on September 30, 2011, 03:16:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 30, 2011, 03:04:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 02:59:30 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 30, 2011, 02:57:57 PM
That depended largely on the time and place.

Yeah the marchlands (like that one place where the Muslims and Christians were always trading lands...) were a great place for nobodies to become lords.

El Cid comes to mind

He was born in the nobility.

You are thinking of the El Cid of legend not the real man.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 03:16:05 PM
Everywhere.  Including your Wiki page.

You mean the one that says the exact opposite of (your all-caps) "the Mameluks were DESCENDENTS of slave soldiers they were not slaves themselves"? That wiki page?  :lol:

QuoteThey were always described as 'of slave origin' or 'former slaves' not slaves themselves.  If it is because they were bought and trained and then freed well that is weird.  It just presumed they were descended from slaves since a systematic freeing of them to do perform their duties is...well rather odd.

Well, yes, it is odd. That each and every Mamluk, lord or soldier, had been a literal slave, bought and sold like any other merchandise, seems bizzare to us because we associate chattel slavery with extremely *low* status.

But this isn't universal - same deal in ancient Rome: some "slaves" in the imperial household ended up extremely influential.

QuoteBut in any case your Mameluk lord was still not a slave.  He served a lord same any almost every warrior caste in the world at that time.  Besides plenty of craft apprentices were boys who were bought and worked in exchange for learning the craft in Europe but they were not considered slaves once they became journeymen and so forth.

Further I shot down the Janissary thing right at the beginning of the thread.  Why are you insisting these guys are typical slaves in the Arab world or should even be classified as slaves?  We are talking about actual slaves not some sort of technical rank of a privledged caste.

Huh? We agreed on the Janessary thing. In fact, my whole point is that you could not count Mamluks - Turkish slaves - in the same way as you do "actual slaves". We *agree* on that.

In summary, you can't simply treat every slave transaction as the same. A shipment of slave boys bound for Egypt to become Mamluks means something very different from a shipoment of slave boys across the middle passage.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on September 30, 2011, 02:52:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2011, 01:49:09 PM
European peasant could also rise fairly high though most did not.  On the other hand, most Mameluke probably spent their lives as common soldiers.

I thought social mobility was pretty low during medieval times.
Becoming a merc being the only honest route to richest (or the dream thereoft) for poor people.

There was some.  And being a merc was not an honest profession.  Mercenaries were bandits who were being hired to bother someone else.  The difference between an armed criminal and a soldier was only one legal technicality.  In peace he was a often a criminal, in war a useful asset.  Still people who made an honest living had no desire to see a mercenary hanging around.  It was not really an honorably profession.  Eustace de Folville is an excellent example of medieval soldiery.  He was a knight (I think), and was constantly committing crimes but was being pardoned when ever the King needed soldiers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 30, 2011, 03:27:14 PM
You mean the one that says the exact opposite of (your all-caps) "the Mameluks were DESCENDENTS of slave soldiers they were not slaves themselves"? That wiki page?  :lol:

Goddammit Malthus I just explained how I got that impression. :frusty:  This is really frustrating.  You asked me a question and I answered it.  WTF?

QuoteWell, yes, it is odd. That each and every Mamluk, lord or soldier, had been a literal slave, bought and sold like any other merchandise, seems bizzare to us because we associate chattel slavery with extremely *low* status.

But this isn't universal - same deal in ancient Rome: some "slaves" in the imperial household ended up extremely influential.

Yes I do not have that impression.  I am well aware of Roman and Ottoman history and the power slaves and ex-slaves could hold.  However none of them had anything exactly like the Mameluks.  I was not precisely informed of how that worked but even as kids their slave status was a technicality like the Janissary kids.

QuoteHuh? We agreed on the Janessary thing. In fact, my whole point is that you could not count Mamluks - Turkish slaves - in the same way as you do "actual slaves". We *agree* on that.

In summary, you can't simply treat every slave transaction as the same. A shipment of slave boys bound for Egypt to become Mamluks means something very different from a shipoment of slave boys across the middle passage.

Yes I agree.  Just as Malcolm X made the distinction between the black slaves who worked in the homes and versus the ones who worked in the fields.  My question though had nothing to do with Turks as slaves I was wondering about the Slavs and why their numbers were so low considering the fame of Slavs as slaves and the long period of time it seems that they were captured and sold as such.  Further what about the black African slaves?  After all the slaves for the middle passage were acquired in this method.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2011, 03:30:56 PM
Quote from: Siege on September 30, 2011, 02:52:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2011, 01:49:09 PM
European peasant could also rise fairly high though most did not.  On the other hand, most Mameluke probably spent their lives as common soldiers.

I thought social mobility was pretty low during medieval times.
Becoming a merc being the only honest route to richest (or the dream thereoft) for poor people.

There was some.  And being a merc was not an honest profession.  Mercenaries were bandits who were being hired to bother someone else.  The difference between an armed criminal and a soldier was only one legal technicality.  In peace he was a often a criminal, in war a useful asset.  Still people who made an honest living had no desire to see a mercenary hanging around.  It was not really an honorably profession.  Eustace de Folville is an excellent example of medieval soldiery.  He was a knight (I think), and was constantly committing crimes but was being pardoned when ever the King needed soldiers.

The word honest in the same sentence with mercenary should have send your bullshit bells ringing.
I am perfectly aware of what having a free company near your town meant in peace time. In war time at least they got paid, hopefully by your side.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 12:12:08 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2011, 12:04:22 PM
Still slaves.  I am aware of an East African slave trade.

Sure they were technically slaves but they were never bought or sold as a commodity so do not count in the Slave Trade.

Which is why I said if we were counting them, then I could count Roman slavery and probably serfdom in Russia, Hungary, etc.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2011, 03:41:52 PM
Which is why I said if we were counting them, then I could count Roman slavery, which was also not chattel slavery as practiced in, say, the American south.

Well it certainly could be.  If you were working on a large estate as a field hand or (God help you) in the mines the conditions to the American South were pretty similar.  But there were many better jobs slaves could have.

I wonder if that was the same for the Muslims.  Did they use slaves in dangerous mining work?  What did most of their slaves do?  I mean besides the famous galley slaves that every Med power used.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 12:29:41 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 30, 2011, 12:22:15 PM
Enslavement of Turks probably should not count when measured against European, as it was often very different in function.

For example - Egypt was, for hundreds of years, ruled by Turkish "slaves" - the Mamluks. Comparing their fate to that of Black slaves sent to Jamaca to grow sugar cane isn't really fair ...

The Mameluks were not Turks.  The numbers presented were Africans and Euros not Asians.  I was asking if the slaves (not including legal technicalities like Jannissaries but galley slaves and the like) owned by the Turks counted.

Edit: or were they?  I guess Cumans do count as Turks.  But I was rather talking about the Slaves the Turks owned and bought not counting as part of the Arab trade.

Mamluks are Caucasian.  Garbon says so, so it must be true. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on September 30, 2011, 03:37:35 PM

The word honest in the same sentence with mercenary should have send your bullshit bells ringing.
I am perfectly aware of what having a free company near your town meant in peace time. In war time at least they got paid, hopefully by your side.

You throw goats down wells.  I have no idea what you mean by honest.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 03:43:28 PM
Which is why I said if we were counting them, then I could count Roman slavery, which was also not chattel slavery as practiced in, say, the American south.

Well it certainly could be.  If you were working on a large estate as a field hand or (God help you) in the mines the conditions to the American South were pretty similar.  But there were many better jobs slaves could have.

I wonder if that was the same for the Muslims.  Did they use slaves in dangerous mining work?  What did most of their slaves do?  I mean besides the famous galley slaves that every Med power used.

I edited, as I'm not sure to the extent Roman slavery was identical to American slavery. :)
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 12:12:08 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2011, 12:04:22 PM
Still slaves.  I am aware of an East African slave trade.

Sure they were technically slaves but they were never bought or sold as a commodity so do not count in the Slave Trade.

Which is why I said if we were counting them, then I could count Roman slavery and probably serfdom in Russia, Hungary, etc.

Women through much of history!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2011, 03:45:19 PM

I edited, as I'm not sure to the extent Roman slavery was identical to American slavery. :)

Hotter slave girls in Rome.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Really?  I mean you work all day, you go back to your hovel at night and you die young.  Seems pretty similar.  And the treatment in the late Republic was so bad you had three servile wars.

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on September 30, 2011, 03:46:19 PM

Hotter slave girls in Rome.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Iormlund

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 30, 2011, 03:20:38 PM
Quote from: Siege on September 30, 2011, 03:16:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 30, 2011, 03:04:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 02:59:30 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 30, 2011, 02:57:57 PM
That depended largely on the time and place.

Yeah the marchlands (like that one place where the Muslims and Christians were always trading lands...) were a great place for nobodies to become lords.

El Cid comes to mind

He was born in the nobility.

You are thinking of the El Cid of legend not the real man.
Apparently, recent research indicates his father left him a considerable wealth, far beyond low nobility. He went to court very young to serve as the prince's page as well.