USSC finally decides the "Shakespeare Authorship Question"

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 24, 2009, 07:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2009, 08:13:23 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 24, 2009, 07:18:13 PM
I've always thought this as well.  :)

You would. :rolleyes:

Assuming that Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare's works is boring.  Conspiracy theory is fun.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2009, 08:06:54 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2009, 04:03:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2009, 08:15:48 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2009, 08:07:05 PM
You surprises me, though maybe you perhaps think he might have been a secret catholic ?
His father was Catholic, though that means nothing.  I don't think we can say anything about Shakespeare's religious beliefs.  His work contains too much.  That's the brilliant thing about Shakespeare.  I can find and present textual evidence that his religion is probably Catholic; I could do the same to demonstrate that he's a closet atheist.
I think he was probably a gay lapsed Catholic - they come up with the weirdest shit (see: Wilde, Williams, etc.).
Shocking
Is anyone disputing Shakespaere's homosexuality or bisexuality these days? I thought it's pretty much an accepted fact.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2009, 08:28:40 AM
Is anyone disputing Shakespaere's homosexuality or bisexuality these days? I thought it's pretty much an accepted fact.
It's generally accepted that Shakespeare was attracted to men.

Edit: And it's worth pointing out how long this  idea's been around.  By the 18th century Shakespeare's sonnets is like Classical literature.  It's cleaned up for public consumption (all the pronouns changed to be acceptable) and the un-altered version is rare.  Coleridge devotes an entire lecture to proving that Shakespeare didn't have 'Greek' feelings.  When Tennyson writes to a friend that he's a huge fan of the sonnets he's warned that he should keep that private due to their 'Hellenic' tendencies.

This isn't some innovation of modern readings of Shakespeare's work - though the discussion of other possibly gay (in the sense of a man attracted to a man) texts are relatively recent.
Let's bomb Russia!

saskganesh

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 25, 2009, 08:33:38 AM

that's IF he wrote the sonnets, and not some doppleganger.
humans were created in their own image

The Brain

NB that's men , Mart, not fags.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I am.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: saskganesh on April 25, 2009, 09:45:59 AM

that's IF he wrote the sonnets, and not some doppleganger.
Of course.  And assuming Francis Bacon didn't write Romeo and Juliet and that the Merchant of Venice was actually post-humously written by Marlowe.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

I was commenting more on who brought it up than on his sexuality itself.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I thought this was accepted in the same way it was accepted he was Catholic. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2009, 11:41:27 AM
Not really.  The critical consensus is that Shakespeare was attracted to men, based on the evidence we have in the texts.  If he wasn't then at least he shows a strong awareness of sexual attraction to other men.  Based on the evidence we have I don't think anyone's ever been able to make a really convincing case for Shakespeare having any particular religious views.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 25, 2009, 12:00:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2009, 11:41:27 AM
Not really.  The critical consensus is that Shakespeare was attracted to men, based on the evidence we have in the texts.  If he wasn't then at least he shows a strong awareness of sexual attraction to other men.  Based on the evidence we have I don't think anyone's ever been able to make a really convincing case for Shakespeare having any particular religious views.

It could be he was immitating the greeks (as was common at the time).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Warspite

How can one infer sexuality from someone's writings, short of a remark along the lines of "I am gay"?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

Quote from: Warspite on April 26, 2009, 06:32:22 AM
How can one infer sexuality from someone's writings, short of a remark along the lines of "I am gay"?

Writing love poems for another guy.