News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anwar al-Aulaqi: al-Whackedqi?

Started by CountDeMoney, September 30, 2011, 06:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteAnwar al-Aulaqi, U.S.-born cleric linked to al-Qaeda, killed, Yemen says

SANAA, Yemen — Anwar al-Aulaqi, the radical Yemeni-American cleric and one of the most influential al-Qaeda operatives wanted by the United States, has been killed in northern Yemen, Yemen's Defense Ministry said Friday morning.

The ministry, in a text message sent to journalists, said "the terrorist Anwar al-Aulaqi has been killed along with some of his companions," but did not provide further details. The report could not be independently verified; Aulaqi has been falsely reported killed before.

In a separate e-mailed statement, the Yemeni government said that Aulaqi was "targeted and killed" five miles from the town of Kashef in Yemen's northern Jawf province, 87 miles east of the capital Sanaa. The attack, the statement said, was launched at 9.55 am, local time.

While the Defense Ministry said Aulaqi was killed in Marib province, other government sources said he was killed in neighboring Jawf province.

A Yemeni security source, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media, said Aulaqi was killed in an air strike, possibly by an unmanned American drone. The Obama administration in recent months have escalated the use of drones to target al-Qaeda-linked militants in Yemen and Somalia. U.S. officials could not be reached for comment.

If true, Aulaqi's death would be considered a significant victory in the U.S. war against global terrorism. Believed to be 39 or 40 years old, the New Mexico-born cleric has been implicated in several attacks on U.S. soil, including the 2009 shootings at Fort Hood, Texas; an attempt later that year to bomb a Detroit-bound airliner; and an attempt in 2010 to send parcel bombs on cargo plans bound for the United States.

In April 2010, the Obama administration authorized his targeted killing. U.S. officials alleged that he is a top leader in al-Qaeda's Yemen wing, al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

Aulaqi, who lived in Virginia and was the imam of a mosque in Falls Church, left the United States in 2002. He was detained in Yemen in 2006 at the request of the United States but was released later that year. His lectures in English on Islamic scripture have drawn in countless followers online.

Earlier this year, Michael Leiter, the U.S. official in charge of analyzing terrorism threats, told a congressional committee that Aulaqi and AQAP probably posed "the most significant risk to the U.S. homeland."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

Great, wish they could kill his wives and children too.

Viking

This is the guy the US Citizen that Obama ordered whacked.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Yemen will soon replace Pakistan as the US most trustworthy ally :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Viking

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 30, 2011, 08:13:06 AM
Great, wish they could kill his wives and children too.

Don't worry, they will be welfare queens in Detroit soon enough.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on September 30, 2011, 09:52:06 AM
Yep.  Though the White House still won't admit that, due, no doubt to their abiding shame at that order.

On the other hand it's good that, so far as I can see, the ideology that al-Qaeda represents is now entirely devoid of charismatic leaders.  It should also mean, God willing, that the US has no excuse to support Saleh in any way. 
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Guy deserved to be whacked, he was a Colordao State University alum.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2011, 08:43:07 PM
On the other hand it's good that, so far as I can see, the ideology that al-Qaeda represents is now entirely devoid of charismatic leaders.

I know. Obama's charisma, as a muslim leader, has proven to be a complete flash in a pan.

Razgovory

Yep.  Though the White House still won't admit that, due, no doubt to their abiding shame at that order.

On the other hand it's good that, so far as I can see, the ideology that al-Qaeda represents is now entirely devoid of charismatic leaders.  It should also mean, God willing, that the US has no excuse to support Saleh in any way.

Was there a warrant out for his arrest?  Could he have just turned himself in and explained the whole misunderstanding?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Interesting concept.  Got any sources for the claim that they feel "shame" (let alone "abiding shame")?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

He did know he was there. That was just a bonus. :thumbsup:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

If the US is going to be in the business of assassinating bad guys, then I don't see why citizenship status should be an automatic free pass.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on October 02, 2011, 02:50:10 PM
Interesting concept.  Got any sources for the claim that they feel "shame" (let alone "abiding shame")?
No of course not.  But you should always assume the best of people you disagree with.

QuoteIf the US is going to be in the business of assassinating bad guys, then I don't see why citizenship status should be an automatic free pass.
I disagree with assassinations in general.  I also disagree with the state killing her citizens.  Putting the two together without a judicial process seems fundamentally wrong.  And I do wonder where the line is drawn with this.

I can see the attraction in this case and I won't mourn the guy but depending on how involved the US was I think it's problematic. 
Let's bomb Russia!