Chinese analyst calls for war in South China Sea

Started by jimmy olsen, September 30, 2011, 12:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

People's General was a good game.

Isn't a Chinese non-government agency a bit of an oxymoron? 
PDH!

Siege

I say let's fight now before they become stronger.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

AnchorClanker

I miss SSI.   :(

China is being China.  These claims aren't new - and it's not like PACOM hasn't been planning for it, either.  :contract:

http://www.amazon.com/7th-Fleet/dp/B002IXUNMM
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on September 30, 2011, 03:15:06 PM
I say let's fight now before they become stronger.

Which side are you planning to be on?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

I enjoyed People's a lot. Those Chinese engineers were absurdly strong, though. You could make your entire army of tons of those, a couple air defenses and a handful of arty.

Anyway, warring with your neighbors is not the best signal you want to make when your entire economy depends on foreign investment.

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on September 30, 2011, 03:37:01 PM
I enjoyed People's a lot. Those Chinese engineers were absurdly strong, though. You could make your entire army of tons of those, a couple air defenses and a handful of arty.

Anyway, warring with your neighbors is not the best signal you want to make when your entire economy depends on foreign investment.

Yeah, the Chinese were way overpowered.  Unfortunately you never get to invade China.  I guess once you have beaten them back across Russia and drove them out of South East Asia they feel bad enough and everyone just decides to let bygones be bygones.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Habsburg

I feel as though they'd perform better killing more students and Tibetians, rather than engage in this sort of advanced doctrine. 

Maximus

Quote from: Tyr on September 30, 2011, 01:34:47 AM
I really don`t get China`s logic in claiming those islands far away from them.

I mean yeah, I got the logic of more land, more resources, grab, grab, grab. But the logic upon which they base their legal claim, for there has to be something, no matter how tenuous.

The same logic as their claim on Taiwan. "because we want it"

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 30, 2011, 04:16:01 AM
When I was in the Philippines I was surprised how many people brought up the Chinese threat and how the Philippines had to be closer allies with the US.

Funny, I heard the same thing in Vietnam  :ph34r:

Also, it's not like there isn't precedent for China using force to take islands in the SCS. I suspect that China has refused to negotiate over these islands because they know that their position will most likely be getting stronger, economically and militarily, as time goes on, and there is the future option of using force to claim the islands.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tonitrus

Quote from: Warspite on September 30, 2011, 04:02:56 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 30, 2011, 01:34:47 AM
I really don`t get China`s logic in claiming those islands far away from them.

I mean yeah, I got the logic of more land, more resources, grab, grab, grab. But the logic upon which they base their legal claim, for there has to be something, no matter how tenuous.

THese are the claims. Speaking neutrally, China has no legal basis whatsoever; it preposterously claims archipelagic rights under UNCLOS, yet is about as much an archipelago as I am a loaf of bread.

But you can see the strategic logic - access to potential resources (though these days you're hard-pressed to find a patch of seabed anywhere that doesn't supposedly have untold riches sitting underneath) and control over some major sea lanes.

Looks like the Russian claim on everything under the Arctic Ocean.  Heck, they don't even bother with islands.

Legbiter

I dunno, if they go to war over this won't the USN just sink all their ships, cut China off from the sea and starve their seaboard cities within the year?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 30, 2011, 06:25:03 PM

Looks like the Russian claim on everything under the Arctic Ocean.  Heck, they don't even bother with islands.

I'm surprised that they had the restraint to not simply claim the Philippines and Indonesia as well.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2011, 07:49:12 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 30, 2011, 06:25:03 PM

I'm surprised that they had the restraint to not simply claim the Philippines and Indonesia as well.

baby steps

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on September 30, 2011, 03:37:01 PMAnyway, warring with your neighbors is not the best signal you want to make when your entire economy depends on foreign investment.
The Chinese have an extremely high capital investment rate, so much so that many people think they over-invest. So their dependence on foreign investment is not that high.

The Minsky Moment

They are dependent on international trade, however.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson