Bank of America To Charge $5 Monthly Fee For Debit Card Usage

Started by garbon, September 29, 2011, 01:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: fahdiz on September 30, 2011, 11:21:24 AM
Isn't Wells Fargo instituting a similar fee pretty soon?

I wish my credit union had more branches, but even still: god, I love my credit union. :wub:

Yes to both of the above.

My credit union sent out a mass e-mail this morning :

QuoteThere has been recent news coverage about banks implementing monthly checking fees and even monthly debit card fees. Some members have been asking whether LGE is doing that too. The answer is a resounding "no." There are no monthly checking fees here, nor special fees for having a debit card.

LGE is owned by you, the members. There are no stockholders or paid directors requiring profits. After covering expenses and regulatory capital requirements, all earnings go back to you in the form of lower fees and better rates than you will typically find in a bank.  And we continue to be federally insured and well capitalized.

We know that many of our members have checking accounts elsewhere. If you are finding yourself having to pay monthly maintenance or debit card fees at another institution, consider an LGE High Rate Checking Account, still the best value around, paying a much higher rate than you will find most places, and with no monthly maintenance or debit card fees.

:)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 30, 2011, 08:12:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2011, 06:45:29 AM
And people will 100% certainly not switch over it as well.

I'm sorry I forgot the internet still went down into the basements of the world, or I wouldn't have been surprised at such an inane, stupid comment.

Your statement is as true and useful as mine.  I can say with 100% certainty that some people out of several million will do something, be it post a stupid post on an online forum or die with in six months.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2011, 01:16:09 PMI'll take my money elsewhere.

BofA's online banking site is down.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Man, the market is just flushing BAC down the drain today. $5.85 as I write this...

I want to laugh at them and enjoy it, but all I can muster is pity.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: Habbaku on September 30, 2011, 11:54:06 AM

I wish my credit union had more branches, but even still: god, I love my credit union. :wub:

QuoteThere has been recent news coverage about banks implementing monthly checking fees and even monthly debit card fees. Some members have been asking whether LGE is doing that too. The answer is a resounding "no." There are no monthly checking fees here, nor special fees for having a debit card.

LGE is owned by you, the members. There are no stockholders or paid directors requiring profits. After covering expenses and regulatory capital requirements, all earnings go back to you in the form of lower fees and better rates than you will typically find in a bank.  And we continue to be federally insured and well capitalized.

We know that many of our members have checking accounts elsewhere. If you are finding yourself having to pay monthly maintenance or debit card fees at another institution, consider an LGE High Rate Checking Account, still the best value around, paying a much higher rate than you will find most places, and with no monthly maintenance or debit card fees.

Credit Unions are a stellar example of successful social democrat principles in action :)

Grey Fox

My credit union is charging me a buck load in maintenance fee tho. :bleeding:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2011, 12:01:56 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2011, 12:01:12 PM
My credit union is charging me a buck load in maintenance fee tho. :bleeding:

Then switch?

No real differences across the 7 instutions available.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on September 30, 2011, 11:54:06 AM

My Credit Union has now done this sort of statement as well.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on October 03, 2011, 01:00:43 PM
Banks are only out to fuck you.

Yep. Want proof? Rogers Corp has stated they will apply to form a Bank.

Doom is upon us.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2011, 12:12:10 PMMy Credit Union has now done this sort of statement as well.

Every year, my credit union sends applies excess money generated to the members' accounts. So you might get an extra percent on your savings account or whatever. It's nice :)