Puerto Rico governor to submit status referendum

Started by jimmy olsen, October 04, 2011, 09:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Puerto Rico Become the 51st State?

Statehood
19 (63.3%)
Status Quo
3 (10%)
Sovereign Free Association
0 (0%)
Independence
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

crazy canuck

Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 06, 2011, 05:59:19 PM
If they want to be a state - cool.  If not, that's cool, too.  Whatever they wish is fine with me.

I am not sure why anyone would want to join the US at this point in history.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2011, 06:01:20 PM
If they want to be a state - cool.  If not, that's cool, too.  Whatever they wish is fine with me.

Be that as it may, it matters not a whit to me.  It's their gig.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Siege

Fuck no. Why do we need more spics for?
Vin Diesel is enough.

Learn English first, then ask for this huge favor.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 05, 2011, 06:06:06 PM

Tim just messed his pants a little.

And t hose expansionist part people are nutballs. I recall emailing them to ask about their craziness once and they belived their own crap and claimed to be experts on the subject.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: Siege on October 06, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Vin Diesel is enough.

They already speak English, dumbass.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2011, 06:01:20 PM

Why wouldn't Canadians join US?  They would finally be able to get true fixed rate mortgages.  :)

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 06, 2011, 05:51:17 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 06, 2011, 09:29:20 AM
Canada could enter the union as 4 states -- 'Ontario,' 'French Canada,' 'Maritime Canada,' and 'Canada (other).'

How about just one big state, like Texas?

Well, texas came in with option of splitting itself into up to 5 states. Canada's provinces can join with the option of combining themselves into 5 states.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 06, 2011, 08:08:28 PM
Why wouldn't Canadians join US?  They would finally be able to get true fixed rate mortgages.  :)

:lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on October 06, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Vin Diesel is enough.

Vin Diesel isn't Latino.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2011, 08:49:29 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 06, 2011, 01:19:04 AM
No way do Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut get 2 senators each.

You are - correct.  Each of the territories has a single senator. :Canuck:

How do you guys do that?  Do you have elections or does it just rotate between the 9 of you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2011, 10:24:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2011, 08:49:29 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 06, 2011, 01:19:04 AM
No way do Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut get 2 senators each.

You are - correct.  Each of the territories has a single senator. :Canuck:

How do you guys do that?  Do you have elections or does it just rotate between the 9 of you?

remember - I no longer live in Yukon. :(

And also remember what a ridiculous mess our Senate is.  There definitely are no elections.  Senators are by apponitment by the PM.  <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2011, 10:49:00 PM
remember - I no longer live in Yukon. :(

And also remember what a ridiculous mess our Senate is.  There definitely are no elections.  Senators are by apponitment by the PM GG<_<
FYPFY.  :Canuck:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!