News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CK - DV Redux

Started by Viking, September 29, 2011, 12:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Viking on September 29, 2011, 01:49:08 PM
I still want to hear if anybody knows of any reason for giving anybody other than your heir a duchy title?

I don't think there's any good reason.  There is a miniscule prestige boost, but you're going to get your prestige from revolt management.  As I noted above, I like 2-province counts for vassals.

And with salic consanguinity, there's no point in even giving an heir a duchy title.

Viking

Quote from: ulmont on September 29, 2011, 01:54:00 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 29, 2011, 01:49:08 PM
I still want to hear if anybody knows of any reason for giving anybody other than your heir a duchy title?

I don't think there's any good reason.  There is a miniscule prestige boost, but you're going to get your prestige from revolt management.  As I noted above, I like 2-province counts for vassals.

And with salic consanguinity, there's no point in even giving an heir a duchy title.

Well, the heir that has the duchy gets a prestige boost for being a duke for a few years before becoming king, that must be good in some way....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

BTW in DV no need for bridefinders and corpse purgers. Character stats are functions of random stats and development choices, so no benefit in finding the perfect bride for your little brat. Corpse purging apparently happens automatically, the end of month tick over pause is noticeable.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

I finally found a reason to create duchies - the event chains for disloyalty events snowball, get one revolt, you get many more, if you have three times as many vassals you are three times as likely to get realm duress and once you get that trait collapse follows.

ulmont

Quote from: Viking on October 01, 2011, 08:15:21 AM
I finally found a reason to create duchies - the event chains for disloyalty events snowball, get one revolt, you get many more, if you have three times as many vassals you are three times as likely to get realm duress and once you get that trait collapse follows.

Still not worth it.  If each revolt is a 2-province count they take approximately 1 month to put down, so even with realm duress it's no big deal.

dps

Quote from: ulmont on October 01, 2011, 09:30:33 AM

Still not worth it.  If each revolt is a 2-province count they take approximately 1 month to put down, so even with realm duress it's no big deal.

Each revolt is no big deal, yeah, but if you have 200 count vassals, once you get the realm duress trati, you might have 75-125 of them revolting at any one time.

ulmont

Quote from: dps on October 01, 2011, 10:12:51 AM

Each revolt is no big deal, yeah, but if you have 200 count vassals, once you get the realm duress trati, you might have 75-125 of them revolting at any one time.

It's really not that bad.

Viking

Quote from: dps on October 01, 2011, 10:12:51 AM

Yepp, after dutchyfying most of the empire, ruling everything from Pressburg to Palmyra starting as Dutchy of Antioch. I spend most of the time in Realm Duress and at Honourable Reputation. I have actually set aside a part of the syrian desert for two province mooslimb minors to which revolt once per year and get put down for a BB reduction once per year.

The question is if the Duchies will reduce my problems. The annoying thing is that any one count of no importance can provoke the realm duress event.

The preconditions for becoming rebellious is

1 - Somebody else is rebellious (Realm Duress) - this one is the killer.
2 - Somebody has the different religion. Purge the heretics and infidels.
3 - Vassal has high intrigue. 12 intrigue or more required for this.
4 - Liege over demesne limit - this one is also a bit of a killer since Realm Duress events give intrigue reducing traits reducing demesne size.
5 - Vassal is distance from liege, more than a few provinces away.

So, the idea is to make family members dukes, to keep them at 1.0 loyalty. Note vassals revolting from vassal dukes do not seem to provoke this... We'll see what happens.

szmik

It seems to me Realm Duress in DV isn't that big deal compared to CK 1.05
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Viking

Quote from: szmik on October 01, 2011, 01:08:57 PM
It seems to me Realm Duress in DV isn't that big deal compared to CK 1.05

I gave up on being in the east, I tried the Guiscards. Within 10 years I got a major Byzantine invasion out of the blue, had my monarch assassinated, had my child king excommunicated and fell into realm duress.

Blitzing Salerno and Sicily happened pretty quickly, though after submitting to the emperor I had to re-DOW palermo 5 times (for 500 prestige hit) when the fucking emperor insisted on joining each war against palermo and accepting peace in exchange for 1 ducat each time.

I now remember why I quit this game many years ago.

szmik

Seems like you went too far too fast.

In my game I started with Count of Taranto and after becoming King of Sicily got almost all Spain, while King of Castille ruled Poland.  :rolleyes:
All crusades were successful, by AI, which may be why Byzanteenes were pretty strong in that game. Got few counts in Middle East, but they all cut ties with me pretty quickly and reconquering them didn't change anything. New counts did the same, so I gave up holding them.
I ended up splitting my empire between sons so each became King. But they started fighting each other.   :nelson:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

sbr

I just reinstalled this.  A couple of years ago I had a really good game going but something happened to it and I am hoping to recreate it.  I went from Duke of Slovenia to King of Croatia to Byzantine Emperor.  It was pretty entertaining to try and stay alive between Hungary, Germany and the Byzantines.

garbon

Quote from: szmik on October 01, 2011, 05:07:47 PM
Seems like you went too far too fast.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same.  Never had half the problems Viking is describing when clawing my way to the top of the Emperorship.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Can you import a CK game into EU3 like you could your player characters in the Gold Box games?
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 01, 2011, 09:30:12 PM
Can you import a CK game into EU3 like you could your player characters in the Gold Box games?

CK is so old the import is into EU2.

But the in-game import doesn't work all that well, the one time i tried it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.