And we're back!

Main Menu

Goodbye, Pontiac

Started by Caliga, April 24, 2009, 02:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 06:48:10 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2009, 06:38:15 PM
They killed Oldsmobile a few years ago...so I guess Chev is all they have now?

Cadillac
Buick
Saturn
Saab (trying desparately to sell)
GMC

I would've thought Saturn and Buick would go before Pontiac.
Saturn, Saab, and GMC are on the way out.  Why would they want to ditch Buick, though?  I don't think Buick is going to go, Chinese still eat that shit up.

Grey Fox

GMC is staying.

GM's "core" brands are : GMC, Buick, Cadillac & Chevy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Not so sure about GMC.  There is a lot of duplication between GMC and Chevy, and Obama's administration is asking GM to make a case for GMC staying.

Sheilbh

Quote from: C.C.R. on April 24, 2009, 04:03:20 PMEngineers knew what the most efficient aerodynamic shape was decades ago.
Indeed :wub:

:mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Meh, Pontiac died sometime around 1974.  About time they finally bury it.

Neil

Even having both Buick and Cadillac is a bit silly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2009, 08:05:49 PM
Not so sure about GMC.  There is a lot of duplication between GMC and Chevy, and Obama's administration is asking GM to make a case for GMC staying.

Plus, GMC is all trucks, and American automakers need to end their dependence on truck sales.

I wasn't aware of any particular fondness for Buicks on the part of the Chinese, but IMO it would have made more sense to kill Buick than Pontiac;  actually I though Buick should have gone before Oldsmobile.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on April 24, 2009, 09:53:09 PM
Plus, GMC is all trucks, and American automakers need to end their dependence on truck sales.

I wasn't aware of any particular fondness for Buicks on the part of the Chinese, but IMO it would have made more sense to kill Buick than Pontiac;  actually I though Buick should have gone before Oldsmobile.

while they need to watch their reliance on truck sales, trucks are still a big seller.  They hardly want to eliminate selling trucks.

I :wub: my truck BTW, even if made by the Japs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 10:04:59 PM
Quote from: dps on April 24, 2009, 09:53:09 PM

while they need to watch their reliance on truck sales, trucks are still a big seller.  They hardly want to eliminate selling trucks.

I :wub: my truck BTW, even if made by the Japs.
To be sure.  But why have duplicate truck manufacturers in the same company?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Too bad, Pontiac had some nice looking cars.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2009, 09:52:50 PM
Even having both Buick and Cadillac is a bit silly.

How will I get my Cadillac Escalade Hybrid?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: Caliga on April 24, 2009, 02:48:18 PM
I shoulda bought that G8 when I had the chance.
Get a BMW 3 series. Looks very similar.

Iormlund

Zanza

As far as aerodynamics go, this is has better aerodynamics than e.g. the Prius or Iorm's C6 and it doesn't look like shit.  :P

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 25, 2009, 12:37:53 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 24, 2009, 02:48:18 PM
I shoulda bought that G8 when I had the chance.
Get a BMW 3 series. Looks very similar.

No, the BMW 3 is a bit smaller.  I ended up getting this:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points