News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Goodbye, Pontiac

Started by Caliga, April 24, 2009, 02:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I shoulda bought that G8 when I had the chance.  Now they will become: collector's items.  :(

QuotePontiac: End of the road
General Motors is preparing to announce that the Pontiac car brand -- once marketed as GM's "Excitement division" -- will be killed off, according to a source familiar with the decision. CNNMoney.com reports that an official announcement is expected Monday. GM spokesman Jim Hopson declined to comment on Pontiac's fate, saying the automaker has no announcements to make at this time.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Wouldn't they rebadge the good stuff?  I'm sure that there are a couple of good cars among the crap brands being on the chopping block.

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2009, 03:29:09 PM
Wouldn't they rebadge the good stuff?  I'm sure that there are a couple of good cars among the crap brands being on the chopping block.

There's already a lot of crosspollination of models - even between completely different companies.  The Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix with a different logo on it, for example.
and the horse you rode in on

C.C.R.

Quote from: fahdiz on April 24, 2009, 03:35:18 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2009, 03:29:09 PM

There's already a lot of crosspollination of models - even between completely different companies.  The Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix with a different logo on it, for example.

Well, sure.  Engineers knew what the most efficient aerodynamic shape was decades ago -- now it's just a matter of inching car design towards the Ideal.  In another 30 or 40 years every new car in the world will look almost identical...

fhdz

Quote from: C.C.R. on April 24, 2009, 04:03:20 PM
Well, sure.  Engineers knew what the most efficient aerodynamic shape was decades ago -- now it's just a matter of inching car design towards the Ideal.  In another 30 or 40 years every new car in the world will look almost identical...

Well, there are different requirements for cars too - some need to be larger and seat more people than others do.  As long as the car you buy is still as much a fashion/style statement as it is a practicality, there will be variance in car designs.
and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

Good riddance.

Pontiac was the worse for trying to have a "sporty" image by all kinds of plastic tacked on to the body, useless spoilers and scoops, all built on a car mechanically identical to everything else GM made.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

:(

Even if a Chevy is basically the same thing, It won't be the same, it won't be the same. :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Alcibiades

G8 sure did look nice though.   :cry:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: C.C.R. on April 24, 2009, 04:03:20 PMIn another 30 or 40 years every new car in the world will look almost identical...

Don't they already?  :unsure:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 24, 2009, 05:31:34 PM
G8 sure did look nice though.   :cry:

It also had a nice interior and drove well.  But alas I felt it was too cramped for my monstrous frame.

C.C.R.

Quote from: fahdiz on April 24, 2009, 04:05:24 PM
Well, there are different requirements for cars too - some need to be larger and seat more people than others do.  As long as the car you buy is still as much a fashion/style statement as it is a practicality, there will be variance in car designs.

So they'll all look the same in terms of Shape, but come in different colors with different size engines.  Or something...

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 24, 2009, 05:55:26 PM
Don't they already?  :unsure:

They'll look much more samerer...

Josephus

They killed Oldsmobile a few years ago...so I guess Chev is all they have now?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2009, 06:38:15 PM

Cadillac
Buick
Saturn
Saab (trying desparately to sell)
GMC

I would've thought Saturn and Buick would go before Pontiac.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Wow, there goes my 1968 Pontiac GTO Convertible; metalic green. Great car. Those days are long gone, and now no hope of returning, bringing those back!

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 06:48:10 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2009, 06:38:15 PM

Cadillac
Buick
Saturn
Saab (trying desparately to sell)
GMC

I would've thought Saturn and Buick would go before Pontiac.

I thought Saturn was killed also?  As for Buick, you'd probably be right except for the fact that Chinamen love them for some odd reason.