Very important legal question for Malthus and CC

Started by Barrister, September 28, 2011, 01:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Okay, you two admitted to me that you do have robes.

So how do you wear your tabs?

There's the collar that goes around the neck, and then the two tabs that hang down.

The evry first time I put on a set of robes, I was taught that the tabs hang down from the top part of the collar, and essentially overlap that collar.

However I usually see most lawysers wear their tabs simply hanging down from the bottom of the collar.

So am I doing it wrong, or are most lawyers doing it wrong?

Your opinion on this urgent question is greatly appreciated.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

I'm not up on this stuff, but I just let them hang down ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

I dunno - it just look like they're hanging there limp or something to wear it that way.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2011, 01:51:46 PM
The very first time I put on a set of robes, I was taught that the tabs hang down from the top part of the collar, and essentially overlap that collar.

If I understand you correctly this is how I do it.  The Court shirt has a straight collar that ends with two triangular bits pointing down.  I attach my tabs so that they are tied around the mid part of the collar so that from the front the tabs appear to overlap (underneath) with the triangular part of the collar.

I am actually having a bit of a hard time imagining how it would be done otherwise.

Valmy

It is so inspiring to see great legal minds at work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2011, 02:24:33 PM
The very first time I put on a set of robes, I was taught that the tabs hang down from the top part of the collar, and essentially overlap that collar.

If I understand you correctly this is how I do it.  The Court shirt has a straight collar that ends with two triangular bits pointing down.  I attach my tabs so that they are tied around the mid part of the collar so that from the front the tabs appear to overlap (underneath) with the triangular part of the collar.

I am actually having a bit of a hard time imagining how it would be done otherwise.

It has nothing to do with the collar.

Let's try some ASCI art:

I
I
I
\
   \
    \

versus

I\
I \
I  \
     \
      \

where "I" is the tie or collar, and the "\" is the tabby part.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2011, 02:28:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2011, 02:24:33 PM

It has nothing to do with the collar.

Let's try some ASCI art:

I
I
I
\
   \
    \

versus

I\
I \
I  \
     \
      \

where "I" is the tie or collar, and the "\" is the tabby part.

Oh, ok, none of the above.  I wear my tabs flat and just let them hang.

Barrister

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2011, 02:28:03 PM

One would think this sort of trivia could bring the profession into disrepute on this board - but of course, no such thing is possible.  :)

Next up: fashions in wigs - is the curled style more "manly"?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2011, 02:36:16 PM
So that would be the first option, no?

I think so - and, if I understand correctly, that's what I do.

Barrister

But that was what was decribed to me as, well, wrong.

For the gawkers in this thread not named CC or Malthus, the tabs are the two white things hanging down from the neck.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on September 28, 2011, 02:36:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2011, 02:28:03 PM

One would think this sort of trivia could bring the profession into disrepute on this board - but of course, no such thing is possible.  :)

Next up: fashions in wigs - is the curled style more "manly"?

You darn well know we don't get to wear wigs. :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2011, 02:36:16 PM
So that would be the first option, no?

In both options you have the tabs flairing out to some degree. I wear mine flat against the chest but over the vest.  I dont see anyone wearing it so it flairs out at all.

Malthus