Selective subsidizing of higher education - good or bad idea?

Started by Martinus, September 28, 2011, 11:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on September 28, 2011, 03:44:38 PM
Why? One could just as easily say that a philosophy degree teaches skills of critical thinking and essential reasoning that are invaluable in a knowledge-based economy. People who make and design things are actually a very small proportion of economic output in rich countries, no matter what the manufacturing fetishists bang on about.

Um just about every first world country I am aware of has shortages of engineers and medical professionals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 03:29:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2011, 03:27:38 PM
The government here subsidizes different courses of study differently for a whole variety of reasons.  For example it costs a lot more to run a faculty of medicine then it does to run a faculty of philosophy.  The cost difference is also reflected in the cost of the tuition charged to the students.

I don't think the argument is to make all students pay the same. Just that should the state be as interested in making new philosophers as it is in making new engineers.

Why? One could just as easily say that a philosophy degree teaches skills of critical thinking and essential reasoning that are invaluable in a knowledge-based economy. People who make and design things are actually a very small proportion of economic output in rich countries, no matter what the manufacturing fetishists bang on about.

One could easily say that, but one would be wrong.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

I like the notion of completely state-sponsored post-secondary education.

I also like the notion of making this retroactive through a form of loan forgiveness for those with outstanding student debt.

I have arrived at this position from my principles.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

The government here subsidizes different courses of study differently for a whole variety of reasons.  For example it costs a lot more to run a faculty of medicine then it does to run a faculty of philosophy.  The cost difference is also reflected in the cost of the tuition charged to the students.

I don't think the argument is to make all students pay the same. Just that should the state be as interested in making new philosophers as it is in making new engineers.

You seem to operate under the assumption of unlimited resources. Sure, one "needs" philosophers, but the argument is that one needs engineers and doctors more - so you need to decide on which to spend the public resources.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 03:21:01 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2011, 01:55:01 PM
Yeah, I think if the state is going to be involved in deeming what sort of education spots are useful, the system of setting quotas/ seats is better than making some free and some not.

I don't know. With quotas, I suppose it is not possible to have more seats/spots than the quota. So if I wanted to study philosophy suddenly, and already the quota was taken up, I could not do it. Under the proposed system I could but I would have to pay for it (or get sponsored by some programme).

Essentially under the selective subsidy system the state still leaves you a choice (although one with consequences, such as having to pay/find a sponsor). In your quota system, there is no flexibility/choice, since certain posts are simply unavailable.

Isn't the free market/flexible solution superior to your marxist solution?

The quotas are based on performance. The best students (marks and relevant qualifications) get first pick. So if you really want to study philosophy but the spots are taken up by more qualified students, you can reapply next year. You get a bit of a bump to your score for having waited, and if you do something relevant that's appropriate for being a philosophy student, you get a bump in your ranking at well.

Seems pretty competitive and fairly flexible to me.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2011, 03:58:13 PMUm just about every first world country I am aware of has shortages of engineers and medical professionals.

Is that simply a matter of educational institutions not turning out enough students of the relevant professions?

Barrister

Don't we already have quotas in a lot of areas of higher education?

I mean - I remember people (not me of course) being put on wait lists for law school because all the spots were filled...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2011, 04:18:15 PM
Don't we already have quotas in a lot of areas of higher education?

I mean - I remember people (not me of course) being put on wait lists for law school because all the spots were filled...

In part, that's a function of a professional guild attempting to restrict its monopoly. Too many lawyers = legal fees going down.  ;)

I seem to recall the law society lobbying hard to prevent over-production of law students by law schools, at least in part for that reason ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grinning_Colossus

That's what the AMA does down here -- on the helpful pretext that we don't want crappy doctors. The ABA is rather more laissez faire, though.

[and by 'here' I mean back home in America]
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 04:08:36 PM

You seem to operate under the assumption of unlimited resources. Sure, one "needs" philosophers, but the argument is that one needs engineers and doctors more - so you need to decide on which to spend the public resources.

Why?

If you do a medicine degree, you can pretty much safely bet that your likely lifetime earnings will easily, easily outstrip those of the average university graduate.

So why should public money be ploughed into med students, who are going to enjoy significantly higher personal benefit, more than any other degree?

Sure we will always need doctors and engineers. But they're paid very well once they have their qualifications, why should students then be subsidised when they are going to have the lifetime returns anyway?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Warspite on September 28, 2011, 05:13:42 PM
Why?

If you do a medicine degree, you can pretty much safely bet that your likely lifetime earnings will easily, easily outstrip those of the average university graduate.

So why should public money be ploughed into med students, who are going to enjoy significantly higher personal benefit, more than any other degree?

Sure we will always need doctors and engineers. But they're paid very well once they have their qualifications, why should students then be subsidised when they are going to have the lifetime returns anyway?

Some kid on pdox make an offhand statement about doctors making a hundred grand a year because they get a lot of overtime. That statement baffled me, and I asked about it. He never responded. I think he was from the UK.

On topic-I think the point is a good one though. Better to have the state pay for the general education and the student for the specializations.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2011, 04:07:37 PM
I like the notion of completely state-sponsored post-secondary education.

I also like the notion of making this retroactive through a form of loan forgiveness for those with outstanding student debt.

I have arrived at this position from my principles.

:lol:
and the horse you rode in on

Warspite

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 28, 2011, 05:19:38 PM
Quote from: Warspite on September 28, 2011, 05:13:42 PM
Why?

Some kid on pdox make an offhand statement about doctors making a hundred grand a year because they get a lot of overtime. That statement baffled me, and I asked about it. He never responded. I think he was from the UK.

On topic-I think the point is a good one though. Better to have the state pay for the general education and the student for the specializations.

A consultant GP (top-ranking doctor) will get £100,000 and above, I believe. A friend of mine is a newly qualified surgeon, and she gets at least £40,000/year, so it's not too shabby at the lower end of things either.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

MadImmortalMan

Good grief that's shitty. Forty grand wouldn't even cover the insurance premiums here. Even if it were in Sterling.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 28, 2011, 05:19:38 PM

That is effectively what happens here.  The price to students for things like law, medicine, engineering, mba degrees etc. are much greater than an arts degree.