Should a man ask for permission from his future bride's parents?

Started by Caliga, September 27, 2011, 06:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should a man ask for permission from his future bride's parents?

Yes, and I did
6 (14.6%)
Yes, but I didn't
2 (4.9%)
Yes - never been in that situation myself
3 (7.3%)
No, but I did anyway
3 (7.3%)
No, and I didn't
12 (29.3%)
No - never been in that situation myself
15 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2011, 02:37:06 PM
Yeah Marti, my associate who speaks Mandarin, Cantonese, French, English and some Spanish would be completely oblivious to any language nuance.  I should definitely trust wiki on this one.  There could never be a different use of the words.

Well it looks like the concept in Anthropology is called 'Bride Price' but that may not be what it is called in the actual cultures it is used.  Alot of Anthropology concepts are like that right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on September 28, 2011, 11:11:34 AM
Oh, I imagine they don't call it "bride price" or "dowry". They probably have their own word for it.  The Chinese are so troublesome like that, they have to have a separate word for everything.  I got my definition from so college course I took a long time ago.  Sociology or anthropology or something like that.

They do indeed have their own word but my associate used used the word dowry in its place.  Others may want to put their own word on it which is essentially what anthropologists do as a matter of categorization of human activities.

Its funny how this came up in our office.  There was some joking around about another of our associates not demanding a dowry for his new wife and my other associate made the point that he had it easy because it was his family who should be paying the dowry.

It may be that if asked whether bride price might also fit as a description she might also agree to that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2011, 02:41:31 PM
Yeah Marti, my associate who speaks Mandarin, Cantonese, French, English and some Spanish would be completely oblivious to any language nuance.  I should definitely trust wiki on this one.  There could never be a different use of the words.

Well it looks like the concept in Anthropology is called 'Bride Price' but that may not be what it is called in the actual cultures it is used.  Alot of Anthropology concepts are like that right?

Yep.

Razgovory

Yeah, Dowry may be a the colloquial English term for any transfer of wealth that takes place before a wedding.  Bride price may be the term a social scientist came up with to differentiate the two since I don't think paying the women's family is a common enough occurrence in English speaking Europe to warrant its own organic word.  It could also be that "Dowry" is simply the the English traditional translation of a Chinese word which does not have an exact English term to describe it or the original translators were simply ignorant of less used term "bride price"

According to online etymology dictionary the word "gift" seems to have been close to the concept of "Bride price".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Actually, Raz has it right: in English, "dowry" always, in colloquial use, means a transfer of wealth from the wife's family. English lacks a one-word descriptor for the reverse because it isn't a part of English culture to do the reverse.

Look up "dowry" in the dictonary - in the Oxford Canadian, it is "property or money brought by a bride to her husband at marrage".

["bride price" is also defined there - "A payment of money or goods made to a bride or her parents by the bridegroom or his parents"] 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

The thing is, the concept of bride price does not exist in English-speaking cultures and hence no "native" word for it.

Martinus

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 09:54:22 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2011, 09:26:54 AM
I dont think that is universally true.  In some parts of China a dowry can also be the husband's family paying the wife's family.  For some Chinese families that tradition has carried on after they moved to Canada.  As an example of this one of my associates is often teased by her father that she needs to get married so that he can recover the dowry he had to pay when his son got married.  They dont refer to it as a "bride price".

It wouldn't be the first time when someone misuses a word, especially one with historical/traditional connotations. Especially when herself she is coming from a different culture/language (Hint: English is not the first language for people living in "some parts of China").  :huh:

According to wiki, Raz is right:

QuoteA dowry (also known as trousseau or tocher or, in Latin, dos) is the money, goods, or estate that a woman brings forth to the marriage.[1][2] It contrasts with bride price, which is paid to the bride's parents, and dower, which is property settled on the bride herself by the groom at the time of marriage.

Anyone who knows anything about languages, knows there is never a complete 1:1 translation of every word in the dictionary. She might have used a closest word in English but as Raz, Malthus and me (through wikipedia) pointed out that was not technically correct. Are you incapable of admitting you are wrong despite overwhelming evidence?

In any case, why would I trust your anecdotal colleague over wikipedia? Wtf. Wikipedia may be a not 100% reliable source, but that's when compared to other scientific/encyclopedic sources. Not to "someone I know".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2011, 03:07:16 PM
Anyone who knows anything about languages, knows there is never a complete 1:1 translation of every word in the dictionary. She might have used a closest word in English but as Raz, Malthus and me (through wikipedia) pointed out that was not technically correct. Are you incapable of admitting you are wrong?

The argument you made is not the same as the one Malthus and Raz made.  Their's was one of definition.  Your argument was that somehow my associate misunderstood the historical and traditional connotations of the word.  She understood the connotations perfectly which is what made her jab at my other associate work as a joke.

You however misunderstand such analogies and so I can see your difficulty in following her reasoning.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

My brother and his fiancee are back to talking about forcing everyone to go to a destination wedding. :bleeding:

I can afford that no problem, but IMO it's pretty selfish since not all of their friends and family can, and as my mom is deathly afraid to fly she wouldn't go either.

Ed Anger

Quoteforcing everyone to go to a destination wedding

forcing? I'd tell him to fuck off.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

His response would be "We don't care.  It's about us, not everyone else." :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2011, 06:35:44 PM
His response would be "We don't care.  It's about us, not everyone else." :rolleyes:

I'd shrug and send them a toaster oven as a present.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2011, 06:35:44 PM

Then everyone else should make sure it is all about them by staying home.