And we're back!

Main Menu

Baku, or the Map Game

Started by Faeelin, April 24, 2009, 09:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2009, 06:14:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 24, 2009, 02:16:04 PM
It always amazes me when I read of the plans to open up a front against the Soviet Union, as if the Allies didn't already have enough on their plate. :lol:

I think a more accurate description at the time would have been the British Empire and Dominions, oh and that annoying Frenchmen with a few dozen followers.

This was being planned before the fall of France.  The French were the ones who were most enthusiastic about it, which is ironic considering how bad the French bomber force was, even compared to the British bombers of the time.  It's been a while since I've read much about this, but IIRC the French bombers involved would have been F.222's.  Look 'em up, and have a laugh. 

And yeah, they would have based in Iraq and/or Syria and overflown Turkey and/or Iran.  The attitude seems to be that if Turkey and Iran didn't give them permission to overfly their territory, the French and British would have done it anyway and then basically have told the Turks and Iranian, "To bad, whatcha gonna do 'bout it?"

Oh, and BTW, this wouldn't have been the Western Allies and the Nazis teaming up to take out the Commies;  this would have been the British and French taking on both the Nazis and Soviets at the same time.  Well, actually, the hope seemed to have been that the Allies would destroy Soveit oil production and the Soviets would just suck it up and say, "Oh, Ok" and not actually go to war over it.  A lot of Allied strategy before the fall of France was pretty delusional. 

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2009, 09:39:40 PM
[I think a more accurate description would be the greatest man of the twentieth century and his people.

IMO, de Gaulle ranks with Princess Di as one of the most over-rated people of the 20th century.

KRonn

Yeah, scary plans, delusional. Sheesh..

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2009, 09:39:40 PM
I think a more accurate description would be the greatest man of the twentieth century and his people.
DeGaulle is largely meh in the grand scheme of things.  He was irrelevant during the Great Challenge of the Twentieth Century.  He reorganized France, but other men had already done the work of starting France towards the European Enterprise.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2009, 10:03:31 PM
DeGaulle is largely meh in the grand scheme of things.  He was irrelevant during the Great Challenge of the Twentieth Century.  He reorganized France, but other men had already done the work of starting France towards the European Enterprise.
First he saved his nation's soul, and in so many ways, during the Second World War.  Then, after the war and especially during Algeria, he saved his nation from herself.  No-one in the 20th century has such achievements by their name.
Let's bomb Russia!

Lettow77

I for one love DeGaulle. Somebody the left and the right can rally around, the romantic hero of his nation..
the very personification of france, eee..
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2009, 10:08:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2009, 10:03:31 PM
First he saved his nation's soul, and in so many ways, during the Second World War.  Then, after the war and especially during Algeria, he saved his nation from herself.  No-one in the 20th century has such achievements by their name.
Richard Nixon.
FDR.
Winston Churchill.

DeGaulle worked in one small country.  You might as well say that some US state governor is the greatest man of the 20th century.  The French soul was irrelevant during WWII, just as the French themselves were.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Neil, 'small' country seems to overstate it. France's population is fairly huge..
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

grumbler

Lech Walesa.  :contract:

The man ended communism in Europe (and the USSR, if you don't think it is part of Europe).

But Walesa is DeGaulle's only competition in the 20C for single-handed feats.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 24, 2009, 06:54:58 PM
The fallacy of strategic bombing was not evident in 1940, the politicians having spent so many years drinking the bomber enthusiasts' kool-aid.

Hell, for years after the war, some people still believed that the Allied Bomber Offensive had been decisive.

Had the Brits bombed the Caucasus and failed, they would have come up with a million reasons why it hadn't worked, and not one of the would have been "strategic bombing, by its nature, is attritional and not decisive."

You think atomic weaponry changed this or not?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2009, 12:35:28 AM
Since there was no atomic weaponry in 1940, no.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 25, 2009, 01:42:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2009, 12:35:28 AM
Since there was no atomic weaponry in 1940, no.

Gee thanks Grumbler.  I respect your opinion and then you do this to me. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 24, 2009, 06:03:16 PM
All sorts of plans are suggested, only some are adopted.

Madonna and Angelina. :contract:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Pre ww2 scales were just so weirdly different...
Strange period. The technology and so much was modern yet the thinking...still very 19th century. This is a very Napoleonic way of thinking only with bombers replacing warships.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

First he saved his nation's soul, and in so many ways, during the Second World War.
How, by fostering a myth of national resistance?  Other occupied countries managed to do quite well without one.