News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My First Car Accident, AR Edition

Started by alfred russel, September 26, 2011, 12:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2011, 04:14:52 PM
DGuller updated his thread much more frequently.

That is because while wandering through Patagonia there isn't internet access.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on October 07, 2011, 04:11:07 PM
washing the car, which is something I've never heard of before.

Odd.  I would have expected you to be the type that washes their car every day.

:D

DGuller

The score is 188 to 31 now, I'm still keeping more than 6-1 advantage. :yeah: And I'm planning to refill my windshield washer fluid reservoir this weekend, so I will likely squeeze in another page or two of the good stuff there.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2011, 04:27:50 PM
The score is 188 to 31 now, I'm still keeping more than 6-1 advantage. :yeah: And I'm planning to refill my windshield washer fluid reservoir this weekend, so I will likely squeeze in another page or two of the good stuff there.

This weekend I was planning to summit Mount Everest in a Hertz rental, but that thread would probably pass uncommented with all the attention your washer fluid thread would get. So what is the point?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on October 07, 2011, 05:08:24 PM
This weekend I was planning to summit Mount Everest in a Hertz rental, but that thread would probably pass uncommented with all the attention your washer fluid thread would get. So what is the point?

Well if you got geo-sat internet access with your rental and kept posting, you'd get all sorts of responses I'm sure.

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2011, 05:28:11 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 07, 2011, 05:08:24 PM

Well if you got geo-sat internet access with your rental and kept posting, you'd get all sorts of responses I'm sure.

It would probably be a good idea for reasons other than keeping Languish up to date. But I also like being disconnected once in a while.

Zanza

I made it to the Cueva de las Manos. I drove from Calafate after a rain, and it was easily the most difficult drive I've ever been on. I can't imagine a worse road--the wet sections turned into a deep type of mud that stuck to my boots and trashed the car interior too. You literally could not tell what color the car was. Hertz is charging me for washing the car, which is something I've never heard of before.
The pictures of the cave look cool. Is it worth a trip? Patagonia is high on my places to go.
What are you doing there anyway? I thought you are in the insurance business so even if you are on a business trip, I would expect you to be in Buenos Aires and not in Patagonia.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on October 08, 2011, 01:47:24 AM
I made it to the Cueva de las Manos. I drove from Calafate after a rain, and it was easily the most difficult drive I've ever been on. I can't imagine a worse road--the wet sections turned into a deep type of mud that stuck to my boots and trashed the car interior too. You literally could not tell what color the car was. Hertz is charging me for washing the car, which is something I've never heard of before.
The pictures of the cave look cool. Is it worth a trip? Patagonia is high on my places to go.
What are you doing there anyway? I thought you are in the insurance business so even if you are on a business trip, I would expect you to be in Buenos Aires and not in Patagonia.

I was in Buenos Aires on a business trip, and at first I tried to visit the cueva during a weekend, and then took some time off to wander around patagonia by myself and then with the wife (some time I was going to spend hiking got diverted to the second trip).

The cueva is definitely not worth a trip considering what you have to go through to get there. But for me, it was worth a trip because going through the non tourist parts of southern Patagonia was a major draw for me. Before you do any driving down there, please hit me up for information. It is not reasonable and maybe not possible to drive through sections without a four wheel drive--even the major routes. But the paved parts are in very good shape, and they are in the process of paving everthing so in a couple of years this may be moot.

FYI, the second trip I booked with the help of a travel agent based in Buenos Aires, who set me up with a non four wheel drive and should have known better. Hertz also knew where I was going and didn't speak up. There was a rain that turned the roads into something akin to wet concrete, and sections were submerged. It is a desert, so maybe it would have been okay if it didn't rain, but it did.

Admiral Yi

I'm going to post in your lousy thread just so you don't cry like a little baby again.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2011, 05:30:13 PM
I'm going to post in your lousy thread just so you don't cry like a little baby again.

One post isn't going to do it--I'm down by about 160 posts.

sbr

Next time run over an extinct/previously undiscovered species or get hit by a hot teenaged mafiosa, does wonder for the post count.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2011, 04:14:52 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 27, 2011, 04:13:47 PM
Wtf? As they are both on the second page, I think we can assess the activity of my car accident thread and DGullers:

DGullers thread about a minor rear end collision in NYC: 117 posts.

My thread about flipping a car in a remote area of Patagonia: 18 posts.

DGuller updated his thread much more frequently.

Yeah it is because of this. DGul updated us on every little detail-including his next adventure of needed to get a new tire. We even heard about his discussing it with a store and looking up a tire online! :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2011, 06:00:07 PM
his next adventure of needed to get a new tire.

You're on fire today grab.  :D

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2011, 06:00:53 PM
I don't lead an exciting life.  :(

Thanks for stating the obvious, New Jersey.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.