News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

5 things crowds do better than science people

Started by Slargos, September 25, 2011, 03:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

We used to have crowds that were really good at doing things here in the South, but the Yankees made us stop.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadBurgerMaker

I didn't know that about CAPTCHA.  That's pretty cool.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 25, 2011, 04:03:23 PM
I didn't know that about CAPTCHA.  That's pretty cool.

Me neither. Now I'm not as annoyed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

How does the Captcha thing work then? Because surely in order to detect whether I have entered the word properly, it needs to know what it is - which defeats the purpose of using it to determine an illegible word.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Maximus

Probably by giving the word out to a number of random people on the principle that the majority of them will answer correctly. It could have some confidence threshold and keep throwing the same word out until it reaches it.

Grinning_Colossus

Sometimes they'll give you two capchas -- a scanned word from a text and then some known word or gibberish. It assumes that if you got the known one right then you also got the scanned word right.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Josquius

I covered crowd sourcing a bit in my degree, it is pretty powerful stuff.
Never heard of this somali pirate thing, interesting. Most crowd sourcing I've heard of was done by less cool means, just the power of large online communities to figure out problems.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 26, 2011, 12:08:35 AM
These coincidences are just amazing!

http://www.cracked.com/article_18788_the-5-most-mind-blowing-coincidences-all-time.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=History&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

I like the article about Islam that says that Muslims have historically been very mild conquerors and soldiers and doesn't mention the name "Timur" once.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Quote from: Maximus on September 26, 2011, 09:48:31 AM
Probably by giving the word out to a number of random people on the principle that the majority of them will answer correctly. It could have some confidence threshold and keep throwing the same word out until it reaches it.

Thats fine, except that it is used to determine your human-ness on the spot. It is not a questionaire, it is a security measure. If it does not have a method of instant verification, it loses it's purpose.

Maximus

Quote from: Tamas on September 26, 2011, 11:06:45 AM
Thats fine, except that it is used to determine your human-ness on the spot. It is not a questionaire, it is a security measure. If it does not have a method of instant verification, it loses it's purpose.
Combine with Colossus's point. It gives you a known and an unknown. If you answer the known correctly then you're deemed human and pass the test. You also give the system an idea of what the unknown might be. Eventually it can have enough confidence to give you the unknown by itself. So long as you are within some threshold of similarity you pass and continue to improve its knowledge. It's a form of semi-supervised learning.

Slargos

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2011, 10:33:10 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 26, 2011, 12:08:35 AM
These coincidences are just amazing!

http://www.cracked.com/article_18788_the-5-most-mind-blowing-coincidences-all-time.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=History&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

I like the article about Islam that says that Muslims have historically been very mild conquerors and soldiers and doesn't mention the name "Timur" once.
They are notorious islamophiles over there. It's relatively sickening, but I like the site enough that I can overlook the odd islamospooge.