News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oh well, whatever...

Started by Pedrito, September 24, 2011, 04:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

sbr

Quote from: 11B4V on September 26, 2011, 10:04:22 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2011, 09:47:22 PM

Also, Nirvana's so overrated.
Why do you say that?

I would have to agree with Tim with the clarification that something can be good, even very good and still overrated.  They were a very good band, were very influential in the late 80's early 90's and Kurt Cobain was quite talented but I don't think they deserve all of the adulation they get.

Nirvana as one of the best rock bands of all time?  Comparing Kurt Cobain to John Lennon?  As good as they were I don't think they were that good. 

They were more influential than good.

Tonitrus

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

At least Eddie Vedder wasn't as emo-suicidal as Cobain.

Tamas

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 26, 2011, 10:41:38 PM
Pearl Jam > Nirvana

Hells yeah.

I don't deny Nirvana's influence on the music of their age, but the Beatles had an even bigger influence and they also sucked big time, they just happened to do something which was very new even if sucky.

Same goes for Nirvana.

The Larch

Btw, it has also recently been the 20th anniversary of Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Bloodsugarsexmagik".

11B4V

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2011, 02:25:40 AM
Btw, it has also recently been the 20th anniversary of Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Bloodsugarsexmagik".
Great album

Brazen

Here's the Nevermind baby all grown up and recreating the album cover:

He works for the team behind the Obama poster.

The one thing I hate Nirvana for? People think "nevermind" is a real word  :mad:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2011, 02:25:40 AM

Almost a pivotal and iconic as Nevermind.  Quite frankly, "white frat boy party rock" criticisms aside,  it can be argued the Peppers are as generationally definitive as Pearl Jam, with their track record of sustained work.

Ideologue

Indeed.  I like both of the Chili Peppers' songs.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Don't you have some deth metal to queue up or something, Angus McRage?

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2011, 05:51:02 AM
Don't you have some deth metal to queue up or something, Angus McRage?

I think you've confused me with someone else. :blink:  Metal?  Moi?

Anyway, I was being glib.  I actually do like the Chili Peppers, and I think it's fair to put their cultural impact up with Pearl Jam and Nirvana.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)