News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 3

Started by Grey Fox, September 23, 2011, 06:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Hey, I have a rules question for Berkut, but anyone else can feel free to chime in.

There was a weird ending to Saturday's Blue Bomber game, and I'm curious how it'd be treated under American rules.

Game was tied in the final minute.  The Argos are lined up for a game winning field goal.  During the play someone in the crowd blows a whistle, and some members of the defending team are seen to hold up, but not the kicker.  The ball hits the left upright and bounces out.

Refs order a re-kick.

On the re-kick, the ball sails wide right, however the Bombers are unable to run the ball out of the end zone and thus the Argoes score a single.  And this is the first time I can recall seeing a game-winning single.

Now obviously the US game doesn't have the single point so I'm not so interested in that, but I'm wondering about ordering the re-kick due to the whistle in the stands.  Do you think that was the proper thing to do?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

I'm relatively certain they would have them re-kick in the NFL as well.

Who was the home team?  Did the idiot with the whistle help or hurt his team?

Grey Fox

Argos was the Home team.

It didn't help but I wouldn't say that it did either. Sure Kicker miss the first time but that could have ended on a Rouge too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

At the risk of shitting up the real football thread with more Canuckball, what is a single and what is a rouge?

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 27, 2011, 11:20:13 AM
Argos was the Home team.

It didn't help but I wouldn't say that it did either. Sure Kicker miss the first time but that could have ended on a Rouge too.

No it wouldn't have - it hit the upright and bounced back into the field of play.

A single and a rouge are two names for the same thing.  You get a single point for kicking a ball into or through the end zone, but not through the fieldgoal posts.  It's generally pretty unimportant (who wants to end their drive and only get 1 point), but, as here, it does add some excitement occasionally on a missed feild goal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 27, 2011, 11:35:42 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 27, 2011, 11:20:13 AM
Argos was the Home team.

No it wouldn't have - it hit the upright and bounced back into the field of play.

Oh. Guess he helped then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 27, 2011, 11:05:52 AM
Hey, I have a rules question for Berkut, but anyone else can feel free to chime in.

There was a weird ending to Saturday's Blue Bomber game, and I'm curious how it'd be treated under American rules.

Game was tied in the final minute.  The Argos are lined up for a game winning field goal.  During the play someone in the crowd blows a whistle, and some members of the defending team are seen to hold up, but not the kicker.  The ball hits the left upright and bounces out.

Refs order a re-kick.

On the re-kick, the ball sails wide right, however the Bombers are unable to run the ball out of the end zone and thus the Argoes score a single.  And this is the first time I can recall seeing a game-winning single.

Now obviously the US game doesn't have the single point so I'm not so interested in that, but I'm wondering about ordering the re-kick due to the whistle in the stands.  Do you think that was the proper thing to do?

My understanding is that it would likely be ruled an inadvertent whistle and the down would be re-played.  Probably depends on whether the refs themselves heard the whistle.

I know for certain that NFL rules prohibit whistles & other artificial noisemakers in stadiums, so if that fan were found he'd be ejected (not a big deal at the end of the game I guess) & lose his season tickets if he were a season ticketholder.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

AFC Defensive Player of the Week
Ray Lewis, LB