News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What will become of the eurozone?

Started by Martinus, September 23, 2011, 02:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will become of the eurozone within the next 5 years?

Not much will change. It will weather the storm.
9 (32.1%)
It will collapse entirely.
7 (25%)
Some of the PIIGS will go bankrupt and leave the eurozone. Nothing else will change.
3 (10.7%)
Some of the PIIGS will go bankrupt and leave the eurozone. Eurozone will move towards a fiscal union.
5 (17.9%)
None of the PIIGS will go bankrupt or leave the eurozone. Eurozone will move towards a fiscal union.
4 (14.3%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2011, 07:59:29 PM
Sympathetic to the retard protesters, not the country per se.
I'm sympathetic to all protesters including the Tea Party.  I support protests in general, it doesn't mean I agree with them in the (very rare) occassions when a protest can be said to have a coherent agenda.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2011, 08:59:10 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2011, 07:59:29 PM
Sympathetic to the retard protesters, not the country per se.
I'm sympathetic to all protesters including the Tea Party.  I support protests in general, it doesn't mean I agree with them in the (very rare) occassions when a protest can be said to have a coherent agenda.

This seems weird to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2011, 08:59:10 AM

Well, I'm curious where you got the notion that Germany's actions have rendered Greece sympathetic.  Sympathetic to whom?

Josquius

When it comes down to it Greece is just a tiny percentage of the EU economy.
If Spain gets worse and Italy starts going down...then we could be pretty fucked. But with Just Greece (whats up with Ireland? Have they sorted their debt?) its not a long term danger.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I don't get why Spain is getting beat up along with the others.  Debt is 78% of GDP, lower I think than Germany.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2011, 09:44:14 AMWell, I'm curious where you got the notion that Germany's actions have rendered Greece sympathetic.  Sympathetic to whom?
I think the German government's tended to choose the worst action at every given moment.  When decisiveness was needed there was dithering, when a decision had been reached it was ineffective and often edged with contradictions from senior figures in the German government.  I know there were real constitutional problems for Germany but I don't think the government's handled it well and that they've, if anything exacerbated the situation.

By contrst the Greeks have gone through hell.  They've passed truly painful austerity several times over the last 2 years, this government wasn't the one who fudged the figures and they've had to deal with massive uncertainty when despite all this because, due to often domestic political reasons, each tranche of funding is subject to new Euro infighting (normally, though not always, led by the German government).  I think it's dawning on Europe that Greece isn't a debt problem.  Greece is a far bigger problem involving the debt and a sclerotic economy.  All Europe's offering Greece is more cuts and tax rises with no plan or idea of how to help fix the Greek economy.  It's not enough simply to inflict pain if there's no idea of how to support growth.

Last tranche I remember hearing European leaders recognise this and talk about the need for a 'Marshall plan for Greece'.  This time we've only got more tax rises, more tax cuts and a Finnish tantrum.  The Greeks meanwhile are passing shock therapy reforms.  It's hard not to feel sympathy for Greece now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2011, 10:24:40 AM
:lol:  Answer: just me.
Not really.  As I say the Eurozone itself has gone from 'sell your islands!' to a 'Marshall plan for Greece'.  It would just be nice if they were able to flesh out those ideas a bit.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2011, 10:27:37 AM
Not really.  As I say the Eurozone itself has gone from 'sell your islands!' to a 'Marshall plan for Greece'.  It would just be nice if they were able to flesh out those ideas a bit.

Eh, when you say "the Eurozone itself has gone from sell your islands to a Marshall plan for Greece,"  do you mean the EU bureacracy, the heads of states of the Eurozone countries and their legislatures, all have come to a concensus on a Marhall plan, and they're presumably just working out the details, or do you mean one person wrote an op-ed you agreed with?

Razgovory

I don't think you can get a pass on debt if you say it was the previous governments fault.  I feel more sorry for the a Germans, who kept their house in order and keep having to give handouts to their spendthrift Greek cousins.  The Germans are framed the bad guys because they give their cousins a budget, tell them to lay off the pot, and force them to get a job.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2011, 10:30:27 AMEh, when you say "the Eurozone itself has gone from sell your islands to a Marshall plan for Greece,"  do you mean the EU bureacracy, the heads of states of the Eurozone countries and their legislatures, all have come to a concensus on a Marhall plan, and they're presumably just working out the details, or do you mean one person wrote an op-ed you agreed with?
The Eurozone leaders - they're mostly Parliamentary systems so the legislature goes with that.  The Commission and bureaucracy just deliver that policy.  The first draft said 'Marshall plan for Greece' the final draft didn't and I think the policy's still being worked out and probably won't be delivered for a few years. 

I think the plan is to keep cutting (unfortunately the Greek economy keeps shrinking more than was projected) and start shock therapy reforms to regulations and the labour market (this has already started) and then channel billions of infrastructure to help boost growth in a few years.  It all seems a bit long-winded to me and not necessarily going to help the Greeks.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2011, 10:34:07 AM
I don't think you can get a pass on debt if you say it was the previous governments fault.  I feel more sorry for the a Germans, who kept their house in order and keep having to give handouts to their spendthrift Greek cousins.  The Germans are framed the bad guys because they give their cousins a budget, tell them to lay off the pot, and force them to get a job.

I understand you also support similar attitudes from the Tea Party congress members who refused to increase the US debt cap?

Sheilbh

The Germans were breaking the rules for a long time too.

I'm not saying you can pass on the debt, there probably needs to be a restructuring of some sort.  The problem in Ireland is debt.  The problem in Spain, Italy and Portugal is growth with a bit of debt.  The problem with Greece is both on a massive scale.  Portraying this as some sort of morality play isn't helpful.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 25, 2011, 10:41:13 AM

I understand you also support similar attitudes from the Tea Party congress members who refused to increase the US debt cap?

Tea Party members tended to come from red states, the states that typically get more federal money then they take in.  Not to mention they identified with the party that created a vast debt over the last decade.  With out raising so much as a peep.  So it's more analogous to your cousin blowing all his money on a stereo system and they raising a stink when you pay the utility bills.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2011, 10:44:13 AM
The Germans were breaking the rules for a long time too.

I'm not saying you can pass on the debt, there probably needs to be a restructuring of some sort.  The problem in Ireland is debt.  The problem in Spain, Italy and Portugal is growth with a bit of debt.  The problem with Greece is both on a massive scale.  Portraying this as some sort of morality play isn't helpful.

What Rules did the Germans break?