News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Amerikaner wedding traditions

Started by Warspite, September 22, 2011, 01:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2011, 02:16:22 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2011, 02:14:10 PM
She only does that when she's pissed off at him.

However, that's almost all the time.  ;)

For example: in the months before the wedding, he takes off with his buddies on vacation for three weeks (not that he works, you understand), leaving her to single-handedly deal with all the organizational details. 

Mind you, he did shell out lots of family money for fancy duds like Manolo Blahnik shoes, and she did look good in them, which covers a multitude of crimes.  :D
Damn rich men!

prenup i presume? keep fatting him up so he gets a coronary before they next young thing catches his eye :lol:

Actually, not. To his credit. He refused to go with their urgings to get her to sign.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2011, 02:47:09 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2011, 02:16:22 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2011, 02:14:10 PM
She only does that when she's pissed off at him.

However, that's almost all the time.  ;)

For example: in the months before the wedding, he takes off with his buddies on vacation for three weeks (not that he works, you understand), leaving her to single-handedly deal with all the organizational details. 

Mind you, he did shell out lots of family money for fancy duds like Manolo Blahnik shoes, and she did look good in them, which covers a multitude of crimes.  :D
Damn rich men!

prenup i presume? keep fatting him up so he gets a coronary before they next young thing catches his eye :lol:

Actually, not. To his credit. He refused to go with their urgings to get her to sign.
a fool and his families money are soon parted :P

Actually, is it his, or is it set in trust? and in the case of trust, can she still get it? ie when his yearly stipend (or whatever) is paid out she gets half?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 02:19:05 PM
I keep trying to figure out which family your friend married into.

There's a fairly limited number of families with that kind of wealth...

I'll PM you ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2011, 02:49:45 PM
a fool and his families money are soon parted :P

Actually, is it his, or is it set in trust? and in the case of trust, can she still get it? ie when his yearly stipend (or whatever) is paid out she gets half?

I have no idea. Naturally, just the sort of question to keep family lawyers in gainful employment.  :D

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2011, 02:51:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 02:19:05 PM
I keep trying to figure out which family your friend married into.

There's a fairly limited number of families with that kind of wealth...

I'll PM you ...

I'm curious too....

derspiess

I'd just like to say I hate wedding tuxes with a passion.  Just a nice, regular suit (or maybe a morning suit) seems a lot more dignified and less pretentious. 

Unless you're going for the sarcastic Dumb & Dumber look-- in which case, let 'er rip :thumbsup:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Rent Tuxedo. Morning suit, evening suit, wtf.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

AnchorClanker

The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Admiral Yi

Does best man give the toast in Pomistan?

I had to wear morning suit one time.  I think they look dorky.

It's also your duty to shag the shit out of one of the bridesmaids.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 01:53:09 PM
Generally renting a tux is pretty reasonable though.  It was one of the smallest expenses from my own wedding.  Peanuts compared to you having to fly across the atlantic.

When my brother got married, some of his friends who were in the wedding party were, well, not very well off financially, and it was more than a bit of a strain on them.  I think that my brother helped them out on it a bit, and in one case, I think my mom paid for the guy's tux.  But, yeah, compared to the overall cost of the wedding, it was peanuts.  Of course, I think my brother and his wife spent more on their wedding than I've ever paid for a car--including the cars that I bought new.

Valdemar

Over here you don't wear Tux in church.  You wear white tie and tails if formal, suit if not formal. At a pinch the suit can be swapped for Tux between church and dinner if its an early wedding with a dinner later.

Off course young hipsters growing up on US TV shows thinks you do, and so alot of weddings is in tux  :yuk: There was a hillarious story of a groom who wanted the priest to tear down the narrow gate in the wall around his 10 century country church in order to allow an Elvis style cadillac all the way up to the church :D

traditions are being drowned out by faux tradtions imported through US TV series  :yucky:

V

Brazen

"Other" best men? I urge the groom to look up "best". Like Highlander, there can be only one!

Here's where I learnt all I need to know about American wedding dress and traditions:
http://wedinator.icanhascheezburger.com/

Richard Hakluyt

Sounds ghastly.

You should go to a nice entertaining funeral in, say, Ireland instead.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2011, 01:58:02 PM
I got stung like this - I was a male maid of honour ( ;) ) at my best friend's wedding earlier this month, only to find, a month before, that all of the guys in the wedding were supposed to buy *bespoke* suits of identical pattern from a specific tailor at a cost I do not wish to disclose lest it expose me to further scorn and abuse ...

Too late, McDuck.  I assume it cost as much as a normal person's car and you were probably like LOL THAT'S WHAT THINGS COST NOWADAYS I GUESS.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)