News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Interesting results from CERN's LHC

Started by Richard Hakluyt, September 22, 2011, 12:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

A good thing Einstein didn't get the relativity Nobel.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 02:08:06 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2011, 01:32:18 PM
All of physics since 1905 will need to be rethought if light speed is not as we understand it.

Why is that?

That's when Einstein had the clever idea that there was a speed limit and that limit was light speed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2011, 02:36:37 PM
All of physics since 1905 will need to be rethought if light speed is not as we understand it.

Why is that?

That's when Einstein had the clever idea that there was a speed limit and that limit was light speed.

I undertand that but why does the fact that some particles travel faster change everything we have known about physics since 1905?

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 02:10:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2011, 02:06:11 PM
It means we have to remeasure all the stars to find out how far away they are all over again.

That'll take a really long measuring tape. :huh:

The way we judge how far away stars are and how big they are is based on relativity.  How fast light travels, and how much it bends around really big objects.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 02:40:17 PM

Why is that?

I undertand that but why does the fact that some particles travel faster change everything we have known about physics since 1905?

Because all of the explanations we have about how things smaller than protons behave begin with the assumption that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and the universal speed limit. It would be like trying to explain the movement of the plants without having a theory of gravity.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2011, 03:17:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 02:40:17 PM

Why is that?

Because all of the explanations we have about how things smaller than protons behave begin with the assumption that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and the universal speed limit. It would be like trying to explain the movement of the plants without having a theory of gravity.

Plants are stationary.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2011, 03:17:40 PMIt would be like trying to explain the movement of the plants without having a theory of gravity.

How did we get onto gardening?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

HVC

Quote from: Warspite on September 22, 2011, 03:19:34 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2011, 03:17:40 PMIt would be like trying to explain the movement of the plants without having a theory of gravity.

How did we get onto gardening?
One step away from steaks soon.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Viking

:frusty:

meh....

physics since 1905 rely just as much for meaning as the word "planets" relies on meaning on the letter "e"

I think that analogy works just as well...

Razgovory

On the other hand it might just be a problem with equipment.  I imagine that even if the results bear out relativity still is party true.  We know our knowledge of the universe is flawed, as little thingies and big thingies don't work together very well in our current theories.  Not to mention the fact that the universe acts like it has more mass then it does.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

That is why they remain cautious, as this definitely needs to be replicated.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

I think you're overstating things, Viking.  Even if this data turns out to be accurate under certain circumstances, the model would still hold up for the majority of phenomena (or so it would appear, based on the apparent strength under experiment of c).  It would be a lot like the way that Newton's gravitation still holds up rather well for some work, while in other areas general and special relativity and quantum mechanics have overtaken it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2011, 04:51:40 PM
I think you're overstating things, Viking.  Even if this data turns out to be accurate under certain circumstances, the model would still hold up for the majority of phenomena (or so it would appear, based on the apparent strength under experiment of c).  It would be a lot like the way that Newton's gravitation still holds up rather well for some work, while in other areas general and special relativity and quantum mechanics have overtaken it.

Well, yes, it could still work. But, in a sense, it would be like the situation between Copernicus and Kepler, where Copernicus was right and the Earth orbited the Sun, but the Ptolemaic system was better at describing the course of the planets. Relativity would still work as a tool, but it would not be correct description of the cosmos.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2011, 05:03:15 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2011, 04:51:40 PM
Well, yes, it could still work. But, in a sense, it would be like the situation between Copernicus and Kepler, where Copernicus was right and the Earth orbited the Sun, but the Ptolemaic system was better at describing the course of the planets. Relativity would still work as a tool, but it would not be correct description of the cosmos.
All we really have are models and tools, and if they describe phenomena, then they are correct.  It's not as if relativity really works on quantum scales anyways, so I'm not sure that it's even really affected by this discovery.  That's the whole reason that we invented quantum mechanics in the first place.

Still, I'm not going to panic until some other teams start spotting superluminals.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.