News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Magna Mundi - The Game

Started by ubik, September 22, 2011, 10:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubik

Greetings guys!

I am Ubik, the lead game designer and general manager of Magna Mundi.
Browsed the forum and gladly noticed the interest Magna Mundi the Game is raising here in some threads.

So, if there are some questions you'd like to see answered, feel free to ask. I'll check this forum around frequently.

For now, I leave you with some dev diaries:

Factions: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?524868-Magna-Mundi-Developer-s-Diary-10-FACTION-MECHANICS&p=12156396#post12156396

Knowledge: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?529179-Magna-Mundi-Developer-s-Diary-12-Knowledge

Corruption: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?532118-Magna-Mundi-Developer-s-Diary-13-Corruption

Land Combat: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?544307-Magna-Mundi-Developer-s-Diary-18-Land-Combat-%282-of-3%29

Espionage: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?536875-Magna-Mundi-Developer-s-Diary-15-Espionage

Short Stories based on the game:

Espionage: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?534600-Magna-Mundi-Developer-s-Diary-14-The-Carnival

Knowledge & Corruption: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?527162-Magna-Mundi-Developer-s-Diary-11-HOURGLASS

Factions: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?522062-Magna-Mundi-Developer-s-Diary-9-FACTIONS-HERDING-CATS-FOR-THE-GOOD-OF-THE-COUNTRY

You can check the full list of dev diaries in http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?523109-Developer-Diary-Archive-Thread

http://www.magnamundi.com

http://www.facebook.com/MagnaMundi ("like" us on facebook) ;)

http://twitter.com/MagnaMundi ("follow" us on twitter)

Pass the word: The Grand Strategy Game to rule them all is coming in 2012 and its initials are MM
:D

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

szmik

Are you going to get rid of "whack-a-mole" fest?

That's the thing that killed EU3 for me in any form.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Viking

Quote from: szmik on September 22, 2011, 11:23:18 AM

I think the automated revolter killing armies works pretty well on that issue.

My gripe with MM is that the player is always ground into insensible inactivity due to events and modifiers. Trying to field an army equivalent to the army of an economically similar enemy will always bankrupt the state in MM the mod. So I gave up on it pretty quickly. Fucking pirates etc.

If they make it a mod rather than a higher difficulty setting then I'll get interested.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

Yeah, I don't get why major mods always feel the need to up the difficulty to crazy levels.

MM would be great for flavor but being able to do something at all times is a strength of EU3 that should not be taken away.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

szmik

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

ubik

The game is completely different. I know at first people will compare it to EU3 but we designed it from scratch.

With our provincial warfare system, whack-a-mole was taken care off.

Habbaku

Quote from: ubik on September 22, 2011, 02:59:46 PM

Could you go into further detail about this?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

The game is completely different. I know at first people will compare it to EU3 but we designed it from scratch.

I got the impression from the dev diary that provincial warfare was just a different name for sieges?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

I don't think guacamole is a problem unless you colonize Mexico.

ubik

Quote from: Habbaku on September 22, 2011, 03:02:56 PM

Could you go into further detail about this?

It's totally different - Check here:

LAND COMBAT – PROVINCIAL WARFARE (III of III)

When an army marches into an enemy province not defended by another army, the militia there will defend it until a friendly army arrives, it defeats the invading force or the invading force actually occupies the whole province, expelling the defending militia. The system is an abstraction of the % of occupation of the province. So, at 0% occupation the invading army has been defeated while at 100% occupation the defending militia has been routed and the province is occupied by the invader.

MECHANICS

FREQUENCY OF ROLLS

The rolls to change the occupation of a province are every ten days (with a random offset) . If the "Major Offensive" button is selected, the frequency of the rolls are 5 days (with a random offset).

ROLL RANGE

Rolls are made with ten sided dice.

MAJOR OFFENSIVE BUTTON

The invading player may elect to press the Major Offensive button in the interface to force a faster decision over the Provincial Warfare, while rolling with bonuses. Based on the Maneuver Stat of the side commander he may be able to enact it or not. The chance of the action to be successful is given by the invader commander Maneuver Rating*10%. Thus, a Commander with 3 Maneuver Rating has 30% chance of accomplishing a major offensive. If it fails, the Major Offensive button will remain ghosted until a new Provincial Warfare starts.
A Major Offensive gives +20% casualties to the invader per turn over the normal casualties. A failed major offensive (Commander cannot pass the roll to comply with player order) automatically makes the invader lose the next round of Provincial Warfare with maximum penalties.

PLUNDER BUTTON

If the player commands the invader side he can order the armies to Plunder the province. Plunder is automatic and gives the following effects:

•   +2 Infamy
•   -25% on casualties from attrition while combat lasts
•   Pop in Province = -(5 + D5)%
•   Treasury += Base Value of Province + (D6) * 2

A province cannot be plundered while suffering from the plundered modifier.

PROVINCIAL COMMANDERS

A commander can be appointed to a province or a neighbour one to defend it BEFORE that province is under Provincial Warfare. A Commander influences the province he is appointed to and all neighbour provinces of his country. Influence over his appointed province is doubled.
When under provincial warfare, the Provincial commander first picked is the one assigned directly to that province. If no commander is assigned there, but more than one are assigned to neighbour provinces of this, the most senior province commander takes charge of the defence. IF there is a tie in the rank of province commanders, the one with the best sum of stats is picked.

STACKING

Like in combat, the invader Commander can carry to provincial warfare as many units as his strategic rating allows. Follow the rules on combat for that. Only those troops are eligible for the attrition bonus in case of the plunder order is in effect. If a invader stack is defeated and more invader units are present in the province, these units can now again attempt to seize the province.

SENIORITY

The Commander of the invader side is always sorted by who is the most senior of commanders. If there is more than one of the same top rank, then one with best sum of stats is picked.

DELIBERATE RETREAT

The player may decide to retreat whenever he wants. The forces will retreat to the province of their origin. The occupation will revert to 0, even if more invader units not engaging are present and another Provincial Warfare action begins.
Coward Commanders may also decide to retreat (5% chance per occupation roll lost). Other than this, all the decision is in the hands of the player.

FORCED RETREAT

When the morale of an invader reaches 0 or the occupancy goes to <0%, he will retreat to the province of origin.

PROVINCIAL WARFARE DYNAMICS

Two rolls are made per Turn, one for each side. The side that rolls best is the one that wins that turn, either increasing the occupation on the province or losing it.

MODIFIERS

Both the invader and well as the defender have their own set of modifiers to the dice roll:

INVADER (Modifiers of same color non cumulative):
•   Less men than garrison   
•   Less than 2* men of garrison      
•   Less than 3* men of garrison      
•   Less than 4* men of garrison      
•   Less than 5* men of garrison      
•   Less than 6* men of garrison      
•   Less than 7* men of garrison      
•   Less than 8* men of garrison      
•   Less than 9* men of garrison      
•   Less than 10* men of garrison   
•   More than 10* men of garrison
•   Artillery > ½ of garrison      
•   Artillery > garrison            
•   Commander Fire (per point)
•   Commander Shock (per point)   
•   Commander Strategic   (per point)
•   <11% Occupied               
•   <21% Occupied               
•   <31% Occupied               
•   >69% Occupied               
•   >79% Occupied               
•   >89% Occupied
•   Major Offensive
•   General Not Ranked      
•   General Captain               
•   General Colonel               
•   General Brigadier               
•   General General               
•   General Marshal               
•   General High Constable

DEFENDER

•   Per Level of Fort
•   Neighbour Commander Present      
•   Commander Present      
•   Commander Strategic   (per point)
•   Per % Defensiveness            +(*)
•   Mild Winter               
•   Normal Winter               
•   Harsh Winter
•   >30% Occupied      
•   >39% Occupied               
•   >59% Occupied

(*) – Defensiveness gives a % chance every roll of adding D10 to defence. If defensiveness is >100% the D10 is automatically granted and a second chance, based on DEFENSIVENESS – 100 is made for a second D10 bonus.

Viking

So it's like the victoria system only with an assault button added?

It's not like the provincial militia can win the battle and throw the invaders out can they?

HisMajestyBOB

The provincial pirate events/modifiers were what helped drive me away from MM the mod. It just got tedious to constantly deal with events and micromanaging decisions even in a medium-sized empire. I can't imagine doing that in, say 1600s Portugal or Spain.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help