I'm not getting enjoyment out of anything anymore.

Started by Razgovory, September 20, 2011, 09:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I haven't had an attention whoring thread in a while, so here goes.

I haven't been able to really enjoy anything for almost a year now.  I can't bring my self to read a book, play a video game or even watch movies or television.  I'm not sure why.  When ever I try to watch a film I get bored or nervous and stop before it ends.  Sometimes I play old Skirmish maps of Company of Heroes but that's about as much as I can bring myself to do.  I do not know why I'm having this problem, and it's gotten worse I think.  Ahedonia is symptomatic of people like me, so maybe that's it.  I dunno.  Mostly I just sit around sort of listlessly.  I can post on Languish, cause that's like not doing anything, but I have been having a harder and harder time doing anything else. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Yeah, I'm having similar problems. I think it stems from being out of work so long. Free time just isn't as sweet when you have 168 hours a week of it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

You should find a basketball, see how many times you could bounce the ball in a day, then try to break that record.

Lettow77

Maybe try short animation?

There are shows that are 4-5 minutes long, or movies that go for about 17. You could take babby steps.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2011, 09:53:02 PM
I haven't had an attention whoring thread in a while, so here goes.

I haven't been able to really enjoy anything for almost a year now.  I can't bring my self to read a book, play a video game or even watch movies or television.  I'm not sure why.  When ever I try to watch a film I get bored or nervous and stop before it ends.  Sometimes I play old Skirmish maps of Company of Heroes but that's about as much as I can bring myself to do.  I do not know why I'm having this problem, and it's gotten worse I think.  Ahedonia is symptomatic of people like me, so maybe that's it.  I dunno.  Mostly I just sit around sort of listlessly.  I can post on Languish, cause that's like not doing anything, but I have been having a harder and harder time doing anything else. :(

Dig it.

Quote from: Eddie TeachYeah, I'm having similar problems. I think it stems from being out of work so long. Free time just isn't as sweet when you have 168 hours a week of it.

Also dug.

I'm like the last person to give advice, and God strike me down that I'm echoing Lettow, but the idea of a creative-type hobby isn't that bad a one.  I draw.  It's like controlling little people that I can do anything to (I have a deeply scarred personality).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 20, 2011, 10:03:39 PM
Yeah, I'm having similar problems. I think it stems from being out of work so long. Free time just isn't as sweet when you have 168 hours a week of it.

Me too.
Sucks that my favorite hobby is launching model rockets, and at $7.50 for 3 engines it's too expensive to do often.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

viper37

I haven't been able to really enjoy anything for almost a year now. 
I really tought you enjoyed trolling my threads.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on September 20, 2011, 11:35:54 PM

I was not trolling. :)  I genuinely don't understand why you and grallon are like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2011, 11:37:25 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 20, 2011, 11:35:54 PM

I was not trolling. :)  I genuinely don't understand why you and grallon are like that.

French?
:P
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 20, 2011, 10:03:39 PM

Agreed.
Even now I`m working its hard to get back into free time being precious and wonderfull.
And even things which weren`t necessarily common as muck aren`t as fun as they once were- getting out to the pub and the like
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Martinus

I know this sounds trite, and not sure if that is applicable/doable in your situation, but both "real life" human contact and being busy with things alleviate these feelings. So getting a job that would fill your day would be a solution. Another would be volunteering for some social programme - like helping old people, or some such.

That being said I am not sure if that's helpful at all as I don't know if you can get a job or would your anxieties affect that - and also it may be a deeper medical condition, as you say yourself, in which my common sense advice would be insufficient.

The bottom line is that variety of experience helps a lot with these things. Doing the same thing (reading different books and watching different movies counts as the "same thing" for this purpose) over and over tends to bring ennui.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2011, 02:38:11 AM
I know this sounds trite, and not sure if that is applicable/doable in your situation, but both "real life" human contact and being busy with things alleviate these feelings. So getting a job that would feel your day would be a solution.

That being said I am not sure if that's helpful at all - and also it may be a deeper medical condition, as you say yourself, in which my common sense advice would be insufficient.

What you say maybe true, but I'm not sure how useful it is.  I'm really not good around people and it's doubtful anyone would hire me.  Job interviewer are often put off by the subject talking to himself or an inanimate object.  Or simply not remembering the last time I held a job.  Best Buy might work though, since the answer to the question of "What is your strongest asset", would be answered by something along the lines of "causing human suffering", which I was once quite good at.  When I was young and hated my fellow man.  I'm not sure I could even do that anymore.

The Brain

Mart, I don't think volunteering for a pogrom would work in America.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.