And we're back!

Main Menu

No, I was not at the air races today.

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 16, 2011, 08:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNePeKn3Tg&feature=player_embedded

:cry:

Gotta find out how many people I know are affected though. That's a big event every year.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Oh, man this is terrible...

http://www.news10.net/news/article/153658/2/VIDEO-2-dead-22-injured-in-plane-crash-at-Reno-Air-Race

Jeff Martinez, a KRNV weatherman, was just outside the air race grounds at the time of the crash. He said he saw a plane veer to the right and then "it just augured straight into the ground."

He said he saw "pieces and parts going everywhere."

Witnesses told the Reno Gazette Journal the crash is a horrific scene, with multiple fatalities and body parts strewn across the tarmac at Reno-Stead Airport.

"It's just like a massacre. It's like a bomb went off," said Dr. Gerald Lent of Reno, who witnessed the crash. "There are people lying all over the runway."

The only thing the Korean War veteran could compare the scene to was combat.

"One guy was cut in half. There's blood everywhere," Lent said. "There's arms and legs. One guy just said 'hey, there's another foot over here."

Lent said the P-51 fighter was racing when the aircraft pulled straight up, made a roll and "went right into the audience" in the VIP area.

Juan Echeverria, 37, of Sparks, said he was about 100 feet away when the World War II-era fighter went down.

"The guy lost control, shot straight up into the air and came down into the people," Echeverria said. "It hit full force, full throttle."

The plane did not explode but "just disintegrated into debris," Echeverria said. "There's a huge crater where it hit."

Echeverria described a horrific scene.

"It's shocking," he said. "The scene is very gruesome."

MadImmortalMan

6:58 p.m. update: A vintage World War II-era fighter plane plunged into the grandstands Friday during a popular annual air show, killing at least three people and injuring roughly 75 and creating a horrific scene strewn with body parts and smoking debris.

The plane spiraled suddenly out of control and appeared to disintegrate upon impact. Bloodied bodies were spread across the area as people tended to the victims and ambulances rushed to the scene.

Maureen Higgins of Alabama, who has been coming to the show for 16 years, said the pilot was on his third lap when he lost control.

She was sitting about 30 yards away from the crash and watched in horror as the man in front of her started bleeding after a piece of debris hit him in the head.

"I saw body parts and gore like you wouldn't believe it. I'm talking an arm, a leg," Higgins said "The alive people were missing body parts. I am not kidding you. It was gore. Unbelievable gore."

link

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

:(  Think I'm going to avoid air shows for a long, long while.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Slargos

I wonder how this compares to getting in your car for a pack of smokes on a quiet sunday afternoon. I would wager the latter is still more dangerous, statistically.  :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on September 17, 2011, 12:44:09 AM
I said that the last time there was a huge accident at an air show, and the time before that, and the time before that, etc.

I remember there was this one in Germany in the 80s where like 100 people got killed.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2011, 05:09:25 AM
I said that the last time there was a huge accident at an air show, and the time before that, and the time before that, etc.

I remember there was this one in Germany in the 80s where like 100 people got killed.

Yeah, but IIRC, that one involved Italian pilots.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2011, 05:09:25 AM

There was one in my birth town of Lviv about 10 years ago.  About 80 people died in that one, there is even an extremely graphic video of it on the Internet.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2011, 11:10:33 AM
There was one in my birth town of Lviv about 10 years ago.  About 80 people died in that one, there is even an extremely graphic video of it on the Internet.

Yeah, I remember that one;  the fireball just consumed the spectators.  Didn't even get a chance to turn around and run.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2011, 11:14:12 AM

Yeah, I remember that one;  the fireball just consumed the spectators.  Didn't even get a chance to turn around and run.
The plane actually just scythed through most of them.  Unfortunately, the plane almost recovered from a stall before hitting the ground, which meant that instead of just hitting the ground and creating a hole in it, it glided across the ground, and the spectator section that was there.

Cecil

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2011, 11:20:43 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2011, 11:14:12 AM

The plane actually just scythed through most of them.  Unfortunately, the plane almost recovered from a stall before hitting the ground, which meant that instead of just hitting the ground and creating a hole in it, it glided across the ground, and the spectator section that was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RdY0EAkUaY

This one?

Oh crud...just watched the entire vid...

Martinus

I think there were like 3 or so accidents at air shows in Poland over the last few years, too. It seems like this is a significant risk - these planes are not perfectly new, and usually the pilots are old (or, as in one case in Poland, drunk). It's a bit like those people who watch car races by crowding around dangerous street corners. Taking your kids to something like that seems rather careless.