News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pot, booze, and parents

Started by viper37, September 15, 2011, 12:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

That's your teen, not mine

Parents understimate their kids' consumption of alcohol and drugs, but overestimate that of other teens, new study says.
I'm shocked, shocked to learn this. ;)

I don't know how many times I head a parent talk of their kid as "he's very easily influenced by his friends".  Yeah right.  Always the angel.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2011, 12:24:57 PM
I don't know how many times I head a parent talk of their kid as "he's very easily influenced by his friends".  Yeah right.  Always the angel.

You should hear how often those words are spoken in youth court. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Iormlund

In my immediate family we are quite open with these kinds of things. We often ended up discussing during lunches and dinners who was how high on what or how many months this other guy spent on a mental institution after his brain could cope no more. Outsiders joining these reunions were scandalized and could not fail decrying the companies we kept, claiming their children would never be allowed to join such a dodgy crowd. Invariably, shortly after these statements, I would meet their children on a club, high as kites on all kinds of shit. :lol:

Razgovory

I suspect my parents overestimated my consumption of pot or alcohol.  They probably thought I'd at least experiment with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Iormlund on September 15, 2011, 01:23:54 PM
Invariably, shortly after these statements, I would meet their children on a club, high as kites on all kinds of shit. :lol:
You met Malthus? ;) :D

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2011, 02:58:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2011, 12:30:11 PM
Invariably, shortly after these statements, I would meet their children on a club, high as kites on all kinds of shit. :lol:

:ultra: :ultra: :ultra:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2011, 02:40:03 PM
I suspect my parents overestimated my consumption of pot or alcohol.  They probably thought I'd at least experiment with it.

This is me. I know they've done drugs because I've caught them with drugs in their possession. (I'm talking about the elder two.) I've also caught them stoned innumerable times because they're not very bright, or think I'm not. Either way, I always assume that they are the ones being the "bad influence" and treat them accordingly. Anymore, they just tell me when they're doing stuff they're not supposed to because they couldn't take lying to me anymore, and they were in trouble for doing it when they weren't, so it made more sense to just tell me.

The younger two, on the other hand, I KNOW have not done either. Jeremy is terrified it will screw up his diabetes, and Riley is afraid she'll end up like her elder brothers. At the same time, I would never blame another child if my kids did stupid stuff. If they're stupid enough to be "pressured" into doing it with others, then they deserve to be treated like an idiot and kept home.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

I have. They don't really work.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on September 15, 2011, 03:51:40 PM

This is me. I know they've done drugs because I've caught them with drugs in their possession. (I'm talking about the elder two.) I've also caught them stoned innumerable times because they're not very bright, or think I'm not. Either way, I always assume that they are the ones being the "bad influence" and treat them accordingly. Anymore, they just tell me when they're doing stuff they're not supposed to because they couldn't take lying to me anymore, and they were in trouble for doing it when they weren't, so it made more sense to just tell me.

The younger two, on the other hand, I KNOW have not done either. Jeremy is terrified it will screw up his diabetes, and Riley is afraid she'll end up like her elder brothers. At the same time, I would never blame another child if my kids did stupid stuff. If they're stupid enough to be "pressured" into doing it with others, then they deserve to be treated like an idiot and kept home.

How do you have four parents?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Yeah, BB was doin' rails off some hooker's tits in the washroom at the back of the club when I stumbled in ... fucker didn't even offer me some. :D

Rails *or* tits
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Those pleats are caked with a melange of coke and bodily crust.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

I used to smoke pot with my mom.  She was dating a coke fiend at the time. Yeah, I'm the bad influence.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on September 15, 2011, 03:51:40 PM

you're not such a bad mom :) 

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2011, 03:00:38 PM

:ultra: :ultra: :ultra:
sorry bro, bad quote :(