Main Menu

Stamp out anti-science in US politics

Started by Brazen, September 15, 2011, 04:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on September 21, 2011, 10:38:53 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2011, 10:18:21 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 21, 2011, 10:14:19 AM
For those who thought ID was a serious attempt at science.

Viking, you're shadowboxing again.  No one on Languish has argued against evolution.
did we ever have a poster who did that. Seige doesn't count becasue he thinks the moon landing is a hoax too. Did Fahdiz during his religious years?

Hortlund did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on September 15, 2011, 09:52:07 PM
I`ve no problem with intelligent design, it is indeed a valid idea that is fine to teach in schools, afterall its a commonly believed answer to one of the great questions.
The only problem is when it gets into creationism and starts saying evolution is wrong, there it`s just outright wrong and anyone who supports that needs shooting.

*pow* *pow*

Hey, I'm shadow boxing!!!11111oneoneoen

*pow* *pow*

in this thread even...

*pow* *pow*

Edit: oh, wait, Tyr wasn't arguing that Evolution wasn't science? Irrellevant, since I was criticizing Tyr for claiming ID was and the video is about how ID is not science. Shadow Boxer? Takes one to know one.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on September 21, 2011, 07:37:54 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2011, 06:08:15 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2011, 09:28:30 PM
Wow just wow Viking.  You do know what Oex does for a living right?

I gotta remember that argument and use it when we talk about legal matters. After all that's what I do for a living.

Won't work. History professor is a million times more prestigious than a lawyer. Just ask beeb.

Plus everyone agrees Oex is a history professor.  Marti's claim to be a lawyer on the other hand is often tested by the things he says about the law.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 21, 2011, 10:51:40 AM
I`ve no problem with intelligent design, it is indeed a valid idea that is fine to teach in schools, afterall its a commonly believed answer to one of the great questions.
The only problem is when it gets into creationism and starts saying evolution is wrong, there it`s just outright wrong and anyone who supports that needs shooting.

*pow* *pow*

*pow* *pow*

in this thread even...

*pow* *pow*

Viking, you're shadowboxing again.  No one on Languish has argued against evolution.

Bolded for emphasis, since you missed it the first time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2011, 10:55:37 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 21, 2011, 10:51:40 AM

*pow* *pow*

*pow* *pow*

in this thread even...

*pow* *pow*

Bolded for emphasis, since you missed it the first time.

I refer you to the post where I add in on edit this text

QuoteEdit: oh, wait, Tyr wasn't arguing that Evolution wasn't science? Irrellevant, since I was criticizing Tyr for claiming ID was and the video is about how ID is not science. Shadow Boxer? Takes one to know one.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Tyr never said ID was a science.  Lots of things are taught in schools that aren't sciences.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

fhdz

Quote from: HVC on September 21, 2011, 10:38:53 AMdid we ever have a poster who did that. Seige doesn't count becasue he thinks the moon landing is a hoax too. Did Fahdiz during his religious years?

I don't think I ever did that, but I am *sure* I argued a pro-ID viewpoint.
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

Quote from: fahdiz on September 22, 2011, 03:04:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 21, 2011, 10:38:53 AMdid we ever have a poster who did that. Seige doesn't count becasue he thinks the moon landing is a hoax too. Did Fahdiz during his religious years?

I don't think I ever did that, but I am *sure* I argued a pro-ID viewpoint.

Pro? Don't flatter yourself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Capetan Mihali

Sorry to revive such a contentious thread from its peaceful slumber, but I just re-discovered a particularly striking passage from Freud's "Civilization and Its Discontents" that I underlined years ago:

"The whole thing [religion] is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life.  It is still more humiliating to discover how large a number of people living to-day, who cannot but see that this religion is not tenable, nevertheless try to defend it piece by piece in a series of pitiful rearguard actions."

:lol:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

See, but that's just stupid, even moreso when it was written than it is today.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

This coming from the man who invented "Psycho-history".  I think that settles it, Freud said it was bad so it has to have something going for it.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2011, 06:40:25 PM
This coming from the man who invented "Psycho-history".  I think that settles it, Freud said it was bad so it has to have something going for it.

At least Jung spanks Keira Knightly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2011, 06:39:22 PM
See, but that's just stupid, even moreso when it was written than it is today.

I don't know, I think I understand where he's coming from.  He was writing in 1930, having watched all the material bourgeois progress of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, having virtually pioneered what we consider psychology, and yet the mystifications of organized religion held sway as much as ever.  :mellow:  Hard not to be a little disappointed.

I try to be especially respectful of peoples' religious views since I had the mixed blessing of being part of the small amount of Americans who grow up in essentially atheist families.  My father's grandmother kept kosher and was apparently an observant Jew, but that is the closest hereditary link I have with any kind of religion. I'm as much a cultural atheist as others are cultural Catholics, so I try to acknowledge that my biases against religion are as much an unthinking reflex as other peoples' biases towards religion are.  But at the end of the day, I find it totally incomprehensible.  To think that a major contender for the presidency of the United States finds merit in praying for rain is mind-boggling.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)