Marks and Sparks- not as stuck up as you would think

Started by Josquius, September 14, 2011, 09:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/13/smiley-dinosaur-marks-and-spencer

QuoteA Marks & Spencer customer who demanded a "hand-drawn picture of a smiley dinosaur" after being overcharged for a sandwich was delighted to receive exactly that.

Bill Bennett fired off a letter demanding a refund after he was overcharged £1.10 for a salmon sandwich at an M&S store.

He was promised a £5 voucher as compensation – but when it failed to arrive, he asked for a hand-drawn picture of a smiley dinosaur instead, to cover the inconvenience.

To his surprise, M&S customer adviser Steve Jones sent the voucher and the child-like drawing through the post.

Jones included a note that read: "Please also find a picture of a smiling dinosaur, hand drawn. Unfortunately art was never my strong point, but I hope you will appreciate it."

Bennett, who works in a mobile phone shop in Taunton, Somerset, said: "I'm a bit of a prankster and write to companies asking weird, random questions. I can't believe M&S actually came up with the goods. It's awesome – the best customer service I've ever seen."

Stacy Skinner, store manager at M&S in Taunton, said: "We're always going the extra mile to make our customers happy, even when requests may be out of the ordinary."

It made me smile.  :cool:
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Wow that is a pretty decent drawing.  I lack the art skills for customer service.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Martinus

Martinus

As usual, with the UK press, the best part are user comments under the article. Like this one from some funny, cheery chap:

QuoteYes it's a cute story, nice and everything, but it leaves me with the bitter aftertaste that M&S has been granted free advertising space on The Guardian while the issue of supermarkets ripping off the public remains ignored.

Every singe time I go shopping and in every one of the major supermarket chains I always find misleading "offers", wrongly labelled products etc, and it's always to the advantage of the shop.

Martinus

Also, apparently they are now accusing the guy of plagiarising another picture.  :lol:

Brazen

Another example of lazy journalists reprinting wholesale from long-running blogs, in this case this one:

http://loonyletters.com/

http://loonyletters.com/ms-sandwiches/

It was also misrepresented this exchange as a genuine complaint, whereas the site is run by pen and paper trolls seeking to wind up customer services staff:
QuoteHere at Loony Letters, we have one simple task – to annoy as many companies and organisations as possible... and we've been doing it since 2003.

Our weapons? Paper, a pen (or a printer, if we're feeling lazy), envelopes, stamps, and a slightly contorted mind.

Join us as we navigate the world of businesses, public figures, and customer services teams, as we push the boundaries of sanity, and hopefully brighten a few office workers' days at the same time...

Pick a letter from the menu on the right to get started, or have a look at one of our favourites below...

Gups

Yeah, but the site says that this one was a genuine complaint.

Brazen

Quote from: Gups on September 14, 2011, 10:16:24 AM
Yeah, but the site says that this one was a genuine complaint.
In which case I'm happy to stand corrected :) It's still what he does for entertainment though, and I'm disappointed in the over 100 worldwide publications to date that printed it or reprinted it referencing the Grauniad.

Gups

He does sound a boring sod. It's like being trolled by a nice but dull  old woman.

E.g. to Blair

Dear Mr Blair,

Lots of important buildings have names. I would like to know why the infamous 10 Downing Street (that's where you live) doesn't have a name.

One of the houses in my street has a name. It's called "Hitherwood".

What is your opinion on the idea of renaming 10 Downing Street? I have included a list below of a few suggestions if you need some help in this matter.

Silverbirches, Elmfield, The Priory, Bluebell Cottage, Blackdoor House.

Regards,

Bill Bennett

garbon

I'm still lost on this notion of selling "buyable" food (re: not stale food) in a place where you would buy clothing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Gups on September 14, 2011, 12:04:59 PM
Don't supermarkets in the states sell clothing?

Mega-chains like Walmart or Target have both food sections and clothing sections, but "traditional" supermarkets, like the A&P family of stores or Acme, usually don't carry stuff like clothing.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Quote from: Gups on September 14, 2011, 10:43:35 AM
He does sound a boring sod. It's like being trolled by a nice but dull  old woman.

E.g. to Blair

Dear Mr Blair,

Lots of important buildings have names. I would like to know why the infamous 10 Downing Street (that's where you live) doesn't have a name.

One of the houses in my street has a name. It's called "Hitherwood".

What is your opinion on the idea of renaming 10 Downing Street? I have included a list below of a few suggestions if you need some help in this matter.

Silverbirches, Elmfield, The Priory, Bluebell Cottage, Blackdoor House.

Regards,

Bill Bennett

How does he come up with this zany hilarious stuff?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Yeah, that's true of most supermarkets here as well or it used to be until they started building stores the size of airports.

I actually don't know whether M&S started selling clothes or food first. As far as I remember they've always sold both, though some of their shops are now food only.