101-year-old Detroit woman evicted in foreclosure

Started by garbon, September 13, 2011, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Scipio on September 13, 2011, 07:19:16 PM
Here's what happened: lady gets old, has nothing but the house.  Son bets that mama dies before the note gets unbearable.  His bet does not pan out.  He lets mama get foreclosed on.

WTG, asshole kid.

Good theory, probally so.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2011, 05:53:54 AM
Actually, Marty is quoting something specific there.
The whole thing from the 'Tea Party' debate, right? :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 14, 2011, 05:20:30 AM
I concur. Martty is exhibiting the noveu rich attitude common to 3rd worlders gazing in awed jealousy the splendor of the United States.
No scribes allowed!   :cool:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

dps

That doesn't really negate what Tamas and Wags said, though.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Caliga on September 13, 2011, 07:04:02 PMThe argument here, I think, is that this old lady was either too stupid or demented to know what she was signing.  To be fair, I would imagine most 101-year old females probably spent their careers as homemakers and don't know much about personal finance.

You do know that, according to most sociological enquiries, it was women who managed family finances?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 14, 2011, 09:47:45 AM
You do know that, according to most sociological enquiries, it was women who managed family finances?

Heck they managed the famiy businesses right up until companies became more professionalized in the 19th century.

The tradition was so strong that long after middle class ladies were sent to the home they still would keep meticulous records of household expenses.  Not sure when that went away but man did my grandmother ever do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2011, 06:05:33 AM
The whole thing from the 'Tea Party' debate, right? :bleeding:

Did your wife agree?  I liked how Ron Paul was suggesting we go back to the days before doctors were licensed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 09:56:14 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 14, 2011, 09:47:45 AM

Heck they managed the famiy businesses right up until companies became more professionalized in the 19th century.

The tradition was so strong that long after middle class ladies were sent to the home they still would keep meticulous records of household expenses.  Not sure when that went away but man did my grandmother ever do that.

I had an elderly neighbor who did that.  If she spent 10 cents to buy a paper out of a vending machine, she recorded it.  OTOH, she was about the same age as my grandparents (or actually, probably a few years younger), but my grandfather took care of all the money and paperwork associated with it.  Of course, he had a good bit more education than my grandmother, while the neighbor in question was a college graduate.

The Brain

So this woman doesn't live in Detroit anymore? Horrible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2011, 12:10:19 PM
So this woman doesn't live in Detroit anymore? Horrible.

False. :contract:

http://news.yahoo.com/evicted-woman-101-gets-detroit-house-back-231901988.html

QuoteAn 101-year-old woman who was evicted from her home of nearly six decades after her son failed to pay a mortgage got her house back on Wednesday.

Texana Hollis remains in hospital however, after suffering from severe anxiety after her belongings were thrown in a dumpster and locks were placed on her doors Monday, WXYZ news reported.

"I didn't know a thing about it," a sobbing Hollis told the station before she was overcome with grief and anxiety.

Her son Warren Hollis -- who shared his mother's Detroit house -- initially told the station that the house was seized because he didn't pay property taxes for more than seven years.

"I kept it from her because I didn't want to worry her, I was just so sure it wasn't going to happen," he told the station.

"I feel bad. Maybe I should have paid closer attention."

It turns out he'd taken out a second mortgage on the home for $32,000 that he claims was spent primarily on house repairs, a car and donations to his church.

Chief district judge Marilyn Atkins said the court officer who processed the case after the house was foreclosed had been "been working with the son for a week before the eviction was done."

Council woman JoAnn Watson approached the head of the local office of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development for help.

"He said we're going to do something and I said praise the Lord," Watson told the station.

A court office cut the locks and there are also plans to rehabilitate the house and get daily nursing care for Hollis so she can return home.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Thus is Marty's hatemongering answered.

Yay.  I guess?  Someone takes out loans they aren't gonna pay back and probably had no plans to, and they are taken care of.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 14, 2011, 08:45:18 PM
Thus is Marty's hatemongering answered.

Yay.  I guess?  Someone takes out loans they aren't gonna pay back and probably had no plans to, and they are taken care of.

I don't think the son lives in the home...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

He claims eh spent the money on, among other things, "donations to his church". What a fucking crock of shit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned