Is our generation capable of pathos without auto-irony?

Started by Martinus, September 13, 2011, 05:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2011, 10:19:02 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 13, 2011, 10:13:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2011, 10:11:35 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2011, 09:53:09 AM
I wonder if being gay has played a role in this for me since it makes me an outsider to a degree in most such cases.

<_<
Don't take away his self-imposed victimhood. It's the only source of comfort he has :D

I was just hoping we could get through one thread without an irrelevant reference to homosexuality.  If this thread was about participating in a threesome, then sure gay the shit out of the thread.  On a topic like this though, really? :thumbsdown:

I think it was germane.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2011, 02:27:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2011, 10:19:02 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 13, 2011, 10:13:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2011, 10:11:35 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2011, 09:53:09 AM
I wonder if being gay has played a role in this for me since it makes me an outsider to a degree in most such cases.

<_<
Don't take away his self-imposed victimhood. It's the only source of comfort he has :D

I was just hoping we could get through one thread without an irrelevant reference to homosexuality.  If this thread was about participating in a threesome, then sure gay the shit out of the thread.  On a topic like this though, really? :thumbsdown:

I think it was germane.

:rolleyes: Let's get serious.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Well, it made sense to me.

Anyway, to answer Mart's question, it's certainly possible, but maybe not possible for you, at least without some kind of fundamental change in how you relate to the world.

This is hardly a slam; I tend to be the same way.

At the same time, I'm capable of being moved by others' pain.*  Like, the other day, I was reading about this mentally challenged dude who was a huge, huge Superman fan.  His house had been broken into, and much of his Superman comic and memorabilia collection was stolen.  His story wound up getting local media play, and blossomed on the Internet, and there's a campaign underway to assist him in rebuilding his collection.  The victim, in thanks, said "I have never felt so much love in my life; I no longer feel like the Frankenstein monster. I feel that people understand me now, for the first time in my life" and that made me cry.  Possibly because I'm the non-/less-retarded version of this guy?  I dunno.  It just broke my heart a bit at the same time it made me feel like people aren't completely worthless scum.

So while ritual matters little to me, and communal emotion is probably inaccessible to me, people can still touch me.

In fact, I wish more people touched me.

What was this about again?

*I am also capable of feeling annoyed by their triumphs, but that's just my way.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on September 13, 2011, 10:48:49 AM
The problem is that being a team sports fan is incredibly childish and working class.

That's what makes sports awesome though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

For the record, I am not "practicing detachment" like grallon. I have always wanted to keep moved by grand ritual - I enjoy music, emotionally, for this very reason, and I have tried several religions in the past - but except for the art, I have always got bored very quickly.

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2011, 02:40:19 PM
Well, it made sense to me.

Anyway, to answer Mart's question, it's certainly possible, but maybe not possible for you, at least without some kind of fundamental change in how you relate to the world.

This is hardly a slam; I tend to be the same way.

At the same time, I'm capable of being moved by others' pain.*  Like, the other day, I was reading about this mentally challenged dude who was a huge, huge Superman fan.  His house had been broken into, and much of his Superman comic and memorabilia collection was stolen.  His story wound up getting local media play, and blossomed on the Internet, and there's a campaign underway to assist him in rebuilding his collection.  The victim, in thanks, said "I have never felt so much love in my life; I no longer feel like the Frankenstein monster. I feel that people understand me now, for the first time in my life" and that made me cry.  Possibly because I'm the non-/less-retarded version of this guy?  I dunno.  It just broke my heart a bit at the same time it made me feel like people aren't completely worthless scum.

So while ritual matters little to me, and communal emotion is probably inaccessible to me, people can still touch me.

In fact, I wish more people touched me.

What was this about again?

*I am also capable of feeling annoyed by their triumphs, but that's just my way.

I hope you enjoy your collection, monster. :mad:

The Brain

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2011, 02:52:55 PM
For the record, I am not "practicing detachment" like Grallon. I have always wanted to keep moved by grand ritual - I enjoy music, emotionally, for this very reason, and I have tried several religions in the past - but except for the art, I have always got bored very quickly.

Perhaps you should practice a little then  - it might add depth to your experiences...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

I have a simpler explanation.  Marty is a self-centered Narcissist.  He has little time for things don't benefit him somehow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2011, 06:21:54 PM
I have a simpler explanation.  Marty is a self-centered Narcissist.  He has little time for things don't benefit him somehow.

I don't think that's quite true.  His internet persona does come across that way a lot, but it seems to me that the real problem is that he seems to hold ironic detachment as a positive virtue (though not to the extent of Grallon).  And, to an extent he's right--anyone that doesn't have a certain degree of detachment would probably be so emotionally overwhealmed by modern life that they'd reduced to crying in a corner all the time.  But detachment, as with many things, has both positive and negative consequences, and therefore is probably best practiced in moderation.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on September 13, 2011, 07:35:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2011, 06:21:54 PM

I don't think that's quite true.  His internet persona does come across that way a lot, but it seems to me that the real problem is that he seems to hold ironic detachment as a positive virtue (though not to the extent of Grallon).  And, to an extent he's right--anyone that doesn't have a certain degree of detachment would probably be so emotionally overwhealmed by modern life that they'd reduced to crying in a corner all the time.  But detachment, as with many things, has both positive and negative consequences, and therefore is probably best practiced in moderation.

Narcissist often have this sort of detachment.  Other people are less real to them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM