News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mileage Running

Started by alfred russel, September 12, 2011, 06:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: DGuller on September 14, 2011, 12:27:25 PM
So, if the tickets were $27,000,000 each, the company would still pay?

If it were essential for $50,000,000 worth of business, then I daresay yes, they would.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

ulmont

Quote from: Warspite on September 14, 2011, 01:02:03 PM

If it were essential for $50,000,000 worth of business, then I daresay yes, they would.

$27,000,000 each for two tickets would be...$54,000,000.  I submit to you that it would not be worth paying for the tickets to generate $50,000,000 of business.

alfred russel

Tickets don't cost that much, so no. A policy might be, "you have to use a certain travel agency, you must take the cheapest direct flight, and you can fly business class if the flight is over 5 hours." That might get you a $15k ticket, but you should stay under $27 mill.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Anyway, that all sounds so alien to me.  I haven't had chance to incur too many expenses on my job, but pretty much every time I incur an expense, I have to confirm with my boss or boss's boss that the expense is both reasonable, and the most cost-effective option. 

If I had to travel somewhere, and asked to approve a $20,000 business class ticket, I would be politely but firmly asked to fly coach instead.  The management is ultimately reponsible for all the expenses incurred by people in their departments, so blank checks are not given out.

Ed Anger

I used the company credit card for everything while overseas. Bought dolls for the twins in Copenhagen, charge the company. Don't like it? Send the loser over with no social skills over to negotiate.

If I'm going to be stuck in some Euro hellhole, somebody is going to pay.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on September 14, 2011, 01:10:08 PM
Anyway, that all sounds so alien to me.  I haven't had chance to incur too many expenses on my job, but pretty much every time I incur an expense, I have to confirm with my boss or boss's boss that the expense is both reasonable, and the most cost-effective option. 

If I had to travel somewhere, and asked to approve a $20,000 business class ticket, I would be politely but firmly asked to fly coach instead.  The management is ultimately reponsible for all the expenses incurred by people in their departments, so blank checks are not given out.

You have to approach this in steps: first, you get a travel policy that eliminates the need for preapprovals and allows premium travel, then you develop a management accounting system that allows you to charge the travel expenses to the cost center you are doing the work in (ie, not your own), then you promote a collaborative culture based on face to face meetings that gets people traveling throughout the organization and hooked on airline miles.

Finally, when you invite in consultants to find cost saving opportunities, be sure to bring in top of the line firms that will be traveling in premium seats, and make sure that they do a bit of traveling on your company's dime before making any recommendations.

Do those things, and you will be dropping 5 figures on airline tickets in no time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014