And we're back!

Main Menu

9/11 Ten Years On

Started by mongers, September 10, 2011, 06:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2011, 02:59:54 AM
You havent seen the movie???

I have actually(assuming that's The Devil Wears Prada), I just don't remember it that well. I know her character was a super-bitch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

What's the point of this thread?  Whether or not the average Afghan is aware of why U.S. troops are in the country has no bearing on the question of whether or not we're justified in being there.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2011, 02:35:54 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2011, 06:54:21 PM
They don't know and, quite frankly even if they did, they wouldn't care.

Why would they care? How many people here care that in the current bout of famine, nearly 30,000 Somali children died so far?

:lol:  And you're doing what about that exactly, Mr. World Conscience?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on September 11, 2011, 05:16:24 AM
What's the point of this thread?  Whether or not the average Afghan is aware of why U.S. troops are in the country has no bearing on the question of whether or not we're justified in being there.

Honestly, I don't care if they know or not.  What they do need to know is that we're there to kill their little Taliban buddies.
And to stop shooting guns in the air at weddings when CAP aircraft are overhead.

CountDeMoney

Hey, somebody remembered!

KABUL, Afghanistan — Nearly 80 American soldiers were wounded and two Afghan civilians were killed in a Taliban truck bombing targeting an American base in eastern Afghanistan, NATO said Sunday, a stark reminder that the war in Afghanistan still rages 10 years after the Sept. 11 terror attacks against the United States.

The blast, which occurred late Saturday, shaved the facades from shops outside the Combat Outpost Sayed Abad in Wardak province and broke windows in government offices nearby, said Roshana Wardak, a former parliamentarian who runs a clinic in the nearby town of the same name. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

In a statement emailed to media, the Taliban accused the United States of using the Sept. 11 attacks as a pretext to invade Afghanistan and said the international community was responsible for killing thousands of Afghans during the invasion and ensuing occupation.

"Each year, 9/11 reminds the Afghans of an event in which they had no role whatsoever," the Taliban said. "American colonialism has shed the blood of tens of thousands of miserable and innocent Afghans."

garbon

Quote from: dps on September 11, 2011, 05:16:24 AM

It is mongers, why would you ask such a question?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2011, 06:28:29 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2011, 02:35:54 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2011, 06:54:21 PM
They don't know and, quite frankly even if they did, they wouldn't care.

Why would they care? How many people here care that in the current bout of famine, nearly 30,000 Somali children died so far?

:lol:  And you're doing what about that exactly, Mr. World Conscience?

I'm sure he has joined at least one Facebook group.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2011, 02:59:23 AM
Well, I don't care either - I'm just grated by American exceptionalism.

On the other hand, we find Polish incompetence incredibly amusing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

This was in the paper today (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016171004_copworkshop11m.html):
QuoteFBI agents participating in an outreach workshop Saturday hoped to improve their relationship with Seattle's Muslim, Arab, East African and Sikh communities, but ended up offending some participants.
About 20 community leaders attended the workshop at North Seattle Community College, which featured presentations by the FBI, Seattle police and the U.S. Attorney's Office. The event was aimed at improving communication and building trust between law enforcement and communities that feel targeted and profiled by authorities.

A Seattle Police Department presentation on the rights of citizens when approached by an officer was well-received.

But the event grew confrontational during the FBI's presentation, which community members complained was too focused on Islamic terrorist groups. Then, the agents showed a PowerPoint slide about state-sponsored terrorism that included a photograph of a man many in the audience believed was a Shia Islamic leader based on his clothes. Several people in the audience asked whether it was Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, a political and religious leader who led the 1979 Iranian Revolution and died in 1989.

The photo was small, and the two FBI agents giving the presentation said they didn't know who it was. That offended members of the audience even more, and one of them compared it to calling the pope a terrorist or serving pork to Muslims.

Afterward, event organizer Amin Odeh said he'd have to do "damage control" to try to explain to the community what happened.

"I was ready to walk out, but this is exactly why we need to do things like this," he said. "Maybe in their eyes they're small things, but to the community they're huge things."

Turnout to the event was small. Distrust of law enforcement is so fierce that some Muslims refused to attend, said Jeff Siddiqui, a Pakistani-American and Lynnwood real-estate agent who is a member of American Muslims of Puget Sound.
"Most Muslims are not coming because they feel that the door is closed to them, so why would they come to a PR class?" he said.

While the Muslim community's relationship with city government has improved under Mayor Mike McGinn, Siddiqui said those in the Muslim community do not enjoy the same relationship with Police Chief John Diaz.

A Police Department detective at the meeting weighed in on the FBI's presentation, explaining that whoever was in the photograph, "The community is tired of seeing their images represented" in presentations about terrorism.

The FBI presentation was led by Seattle agents Brenda Wilson and Daniel Guerrero. They wouldn't comment to the media afterward, but during a question-and-answer session they told community leaders they welcomed their feedback.

Guerrero said the reason the FBI came to the meeting was to hear from community members. He acknowledged the FBI is "an agency of people" and is therefore imperfect.

"First of all, the FBI does not profile," he said. "We don't target because of religion. We don't target because of race. We don't care about that. We care about protecting America."
Many attendees said they have had bad experiences with the FBI, so the agent's denial that profiling ever occurs undermined the rest of the conversation.
"When you say you don't profile — and our reality is you do — you negate everything else you say," Siddiqui told them.
:osama:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

LOL, FBI.  Famous But Incompetent.  It never changes.

The Brain

I get offended every time the cops try to profile serial killers. Since I am a mid-30s unmarried white male I think they should spend the same amount of time on little grandmothers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Why would anyone call the Pope a terrorist when Nazi pedophile is correct?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: The Brain on September 11, 2011, 12:20:00 PM
Why would anyone call the Pope a terrorist when Nazi pedophile is correct?

I thought he was a Sith Lord?...  :mellow:
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers