News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Raz is armed!

Started by Razgovory, September 09, 2011, 01:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I took another look at the gun I found.  First I discovered that it was not loaded (which is good), though it has no safety that I can identify (not as good).  I believe I found the model.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/featured_handguns_hg_coltrev_200803/

The weapon has engraved D A .38. (which I assume refers to the caliber and the action).  The barrel has the dates stamped into it: Aug. 5. 1884. Nov.6. 88. Mar. 5. 95.  I'm guessing the last date is production run of this particular weapon.  It's in pretty good condition, no rust and little discoloration.  All the mechanisms work fine, and move fluidly.

Comments?  Questions?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

I think those are patent dates, not dates of manufacture. It's probably significantly newer than that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 09, 2011, 01:50:26 PM
I think those are patent dates, not dates of manufacture. It's probably significantly newer than that.

I'm assuming the weapon was made between the patenting of the last date and the next date found on other similar pistols.  The weapon seems to have ceased manufacturing after 1909, and I'm guessing it was made between 1895 and 1896.  Either way it's over a hundred years old.  The leather holster is newer, it post dates 1928.  Beyond that, I have no idea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Write to "Pawn Stars", maybe they'll be interested in it and you'll be on TV. :w00t:

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2011, 02:03:38 PM
Write to "Pawn Stars", maybe they'll be interested in it and you'll be on TV. :w00t:

I don't think it's that valuable.  Maybe worth a few hundred.  From what I can tell, it wasn't that good a gun when it was made.  It had the bad habit of not killing the people it shot.  My guess is that my great-grandfather purchased (or found) the weapon during WWI as a backup, or bought it as a service weapon in the 1920's for police work.  By then it was probably pretty cheap.

derspiess

He should be able to determine the year by the serial #: http://coltautos.com/DA/NewArmyNavy/newarmynavypd.htm

Fun fact: if it happens to have been made prior to 1899, then by federal law it is considered an antique and therefore not subject to any federal laws regulating firearms.  I'm guessing this would pretty significantly increase the value as well.

I have a Finnish M39 bolt action rifle that was built by the Finns in 1944 using a Russian-made receiver that dated to 1897.  By virtue of the receiver date, my rifle is considered an antique, which doubles or possibly triples the market value for my rifle over an otherwise identical M39.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2011, 02:15:10 PM

He should be able to determine the year by the serial #: http://coltautos.com/DA/NewArmyNavy/newarmynavypd.htm

Fun fact: if it happens to have been made prior to 1899, then by federal law it is considered an antique and therefore not subject to any federal laws regulating firearms.  I'm guessing this would pretty significantly increase the value as well.

I have a Finnish M39 bolt action rifle that was built by the Finns in 1944 using a Russian-made receiver that dated to 1897.  By virtue of the receiver date, my rifle is considered an antique, which doubles or possibly triples the market value for my rifle over an otherwise identical M39.

I don't know where the serial number is.  There's a bunch of numbers all of the damn thing.

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2011, 01:38:44 PM
though it has no safety that I can identify (not as good).  I believe I found the model.

Fun fact : double-action revolvers never have safety mechanisms.  The likelihood of you ever accidentally firing it is almost nil, though, depending on the pull strength required.

Other than that, looks like you've got a neat find on your hands.  You should probably look into selling it if you don't want to keep it around, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2011, 02:19:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2011, 02:15:10 PM

I don't know where the serial number is.  There's a bunch of numbers all of the damn thing.

Look for a 5 or 6 digit number no greater than 291,000.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2011, 02:13:19 PM

I don't think it's that valuable.  Maybe worth a few hundred.  From what I can tell, it wasn't that good a gun when it was made.  It had the bad habit of not killing the people it shot.  My guess is that my great-grandfather purchased (or found) the weapon during WWI as a backup, or bought it as a service weapon in the 1920's for police work.  By then it was probably pretty cheap.
Doesn't matter, you'll get to be on TV.  "Pawn Stars" dudes probably never saw a Colt revolver in their shop.

Razgovory

The number 718 is on the cylinder latch.  On the butt it has the number 162885.  I think.  The one is much bigger then the rest of the numbers, almost looks like an "L" and the first three numbers are over the second three numbers.  Like this

I don't think I'll sell it.  I doubt it's worth much, and much rather have a weight to annoy up to six separate people in future shooting rampage.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2011, 02:32:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2011, 02:13:19 PM

Doesn't matter, you'll get to be on TV.  "Pawn Stars" dudes probably never saw a Colt revolver in their shop.

Dude, I rarely leave my house.  I don't want to be on TV.  Besides I was already in one movie.

MadImmortalMan

Let's see your IMDB page!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2011, 01:38:44 PM
I took another look at the gun I found.  First I discovered that it was not loaded (which is good), though it has no safety that I can identify (not as good).  I believe I found the model.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/featured_handguns_hg_coltrev_200803/

The weapon has engraved D A .38. (which I assume refers to the caliber and the action).  The barrel has the dates stamped into it: Aug. 5. 1884. Nov.6. 88. Mar. 5. 95.  I'm guessing the last date is production run of this particular weapon.  It's in pretty good condition, no rust and little discoloration.  All the mechanisms work fine, and move fluidly.

Comments?  Questions?

Sounds nice piece.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".