And we're back!

Main Menu

Mel Gibson: Judah Maccabee

Started by Malthus, September 09, 2011, 10:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

This should work well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/sep/09/mel-gibson-direct-judah-maccabee

QuoteIn what is sure to be seen as an increasingly desperate attempt to rehabilitate himself within the Hollywood community, it has been annouced that Mel Gibson may direct and star in a film based on the exploits of legendary Jewish warrior Judah Maccabee.

Maccabee was the prime mover in the successful 167BC revolt of the Judean state against the Seleucid empire, which had conquered the region at the beginning of the 2nd century BC. The Jewish festival of Hanukah is a commemoration of Maccabee's restoration of Jewish worship in the temple in Jerusalem in 165BC. In the modern era, Maccabee became a powerful symbolic figure for Zionist campaigners against the British authorities in the run-up to Israeli statehood in 1948.

The screenwriter is Joe Eszterhas. Of Showgirls fame.

What could possibly go wrong?  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Does Eszterhas know Aramaic/Hebrew or will Mel do the translations?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

He'll need some British actors to play the Seleucids, that might help  :hmm:

Valmy

Unless Antiochus IV Epiphanes speaks in authentic Macedonian Greek I am not going.

Which is hard because I do like the idea of a movie glorifying Middle Eastern terrorists.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 09, 2011, 10:22:34 AM
He'll need some British actors to play the Seleucids, that might help  :hmm:

QuoteIn the modern era, Maccabee became a powerful symbolic figure for Zionist campaigners against the British authorities in the run-up to Israeli statehood in 1948

Mel Gibson hates Jews but not nearly as much as he hates the English.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2011, 10:18:30 AM
This should work well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/sep/09/mel-gibson-direct-judah-maccabee

QuoteIn what is sure to be seen as an increasingly desperate attempt to rehabilitate himself within the Hollywood community, it has been annouced that Mel Gibson may direct and star in a film based on the exploits of legendary Jewish warrior Judah Maccabee.

Maccabee was the prime mover in the successful 167BC revolt of the Judean state against the Seleucid empire, which had conquered the region at the beginning of the 2nd century BC. The Jewish festival of Hanukah is a commemoration of Maccabee's restoration of Jewish worship in the temple in Jerusalem in 165BC. In the modern era, Maccabee became a powerful symbolic figure for Zionist campaigners against the British authorities in the run-up to Israeli statehood in 1948.

The screenwriter is Joe Eszterhas. Of Showgirls fame.

What could possibly go wrong?  :D

You know, I'll watch it.  Other than the ending, which felt tacked on, I really liked Passion of the Christ.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 09, 2011, 11:24:10 AM
You know, I'll watch it.  Other than the ending, which felt tacked on, I really liked Passion of the Christ.

Worst Deus-ex-machina ending. EVER. :yes:

Not to mention a blatant set-up for a sequel filled with nothing but spectacular CGI.

Ideologue

I mean, yeah, I was being glib (it's an obvious joke, can't not make it, you know?), but it really is a fine film.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2011, 11:41:46 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 09, 2011, 11:24:10 AM

Worst Deus-ex-machina ending. EVER. :yes:

Not to mention a blatant set-up for a sequel filled with nothing but spectacular CGI.

http://videosift.com/video/Family-guy-Passion-of-the-Christ-2
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

I wonder if the Seleucids will burn Jewish rebels in a synagogue...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Richard Hakluyt

You know, if this film was done well it would be brilliant, it is an awesome subject  :cool:

Though, as the Spartans said to Alexander......."If.".

Ed Anger

The jews will all talk in Geordie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Was Judah Maccabee the one getting stepped by an elephant?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017