Obama might sign the Colombian trade deal after all

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 22, 2009, 03:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124010048395232143.html

Yay.

By LAURA MECKLER

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad -- President Barack Obama discussed a pending free-trade agreement with his Colombian counterpart Saturday and dispatched his trade representative to discuss U.S. concerns over Colombia's treatment of labor leaders.

At the Summit of the Americas in Port-of-Spain, Mr. Obama asked to be seated next to Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, and the pair discussed the deal, U.S. officials said. During his presidential campaign, Mr. Obama had voiced opposition to the pact, citing violence toward labor organizers in Colombia. The deal, which would allow free trade between the two nations, is awaiting ratification in the U.S. Senate and has already been approved by Colombia's congress.

Since taking office, Mr. Obama has struck a more-positive tone on free trade than he often did during the campaign. He and aides have spoken out against protectionism, and in Mexico last week he declined to raise the question of renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement, despite a pledge to do so last year.

In October, then-Sen. Obama expressed deep concerns over the Colombian pact. "The history in Colombia right now is that labor leaders have been targeted for assassination on a fairly consistent basis and there have not been prosecutions," he said during a presidential debate.

Saturday's lunch conversation with Mr. Uribe was "fruitful," said Denis McDonough, director of strategic communications for the National Security Council.

Mr. Obama sent U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk to meet with Mr. Uribe Friday and with the Colombian finance minister Saturday to discuss the pending agreement.

Luis Guillermo Plata, Colombia's trade, industry and tourism minister, said the U.S. doesn't plan to renegotiate the entire treaty but rather examine certain points that raise concerns, according to the Colombian government news service.

U.S. officials also were optimistic about a pending agreement with Panama. They said the recent jailing of a Panamanian leader convicted of murdering an American improves the prospects for that pact. Minor labor issues seem resolvable, an administration official said.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

It is amazing how good some of the Bushitler's policies suddenly look once he is safely out of office.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Every time Barack breaks a campaign promise an angel gets his wings.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

Quote from: Savonarola on April 22, 2009, 03:12:58 PM
Every time Barack breaks a campaign promise an angel get's his wings.   :)
The good thing is that the majority of the promises he broke so far have been boneheaded in the first place (except for not hiring lobbyists).

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2009, 03:31:12 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 22, 2009, 03:12:58 PM
Every time Barack breaks a campaign promise an angel get's his wings.   :)
The good thing is that the majority of the promises he broke so far have been boneheaded in the first place (except for not hiring lobbyists).

Funny that those very boneheaded promises are what got him elected though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Savonarola

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2009, 03:32:11 PM

Breaking them is what will get him elected to a second term.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

Quote from: Savonarola on April 22, 2009, 03:42:42 PM

Breaking them is what will get him elected to a second term.

He is slick, gotta give him that.

0 rows returned

Valmy

I told you not to take those things very seriously.

You took a chance he would not actually do those moronic things yourself when you voted for him I presume.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2009, 03:45:12 PM

It is exactly the same sort of thing Clinton did.  Today nobody remembers the campaign promises, just the things he actually did.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2009, 03:52:07 PM

I told you not to take those things very seriously.

You took a chance he would not actually do those moronic things yourself when you voted for him I presume.

I know, I know.

That doesn't mean I am not still a little dissapointed the guy who actually said he would do the things that Obama is now doing could not be elected.

0 rows returned

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2009, 03:52:41 PM
It is exactly the same sort of thing Clinton did.  Today nobody remembers the campaign promises, just the things he actually did.

The President has kept all the promises he intended to keep  -then press secretary George Stephanopoulos

Neil

What did Clinton actually do, anyways?  Of course I remember the government shutdown and the DMCA, but what did his administration accomplish?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

I Killed Kenny

Savonarola

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on April 22, 2009, 04:28:58 PM
what promises?

He promised to recognize the Armenian Genocide.  People died and then Barack lied. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 22, 2009, 04:23:27 PM

What did Clinton actually do, anyways?  Of course I remember the government shutdown and the DMCA, but what did his administration accomplish?

Killed Serbs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017