Bush vs. Gore/Kerry II: The Recountening

Started by Kleves, September 08, 2011, 01:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would your vote for President in 2000 and 2004 be the same today as it was/would have been at the time?

Unchanged: Bush
8 (25.8%)
Unchanged: Bush/Kerry
0 (0%)
Unchanged: Gore/Kerry
17 (54.8%)
Unchanged: Gore/Bush
1 (3.2%)
Changed: Bush
0 (0%)
Changed: Bush/Kerry
0 (0%)
Changed: Gore/Kerry
1 (3.2%)
Changed: Gore/Bush
1 (3.2%)
I voted for a third-party candidate, so what I think doesn't matter!
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Kleves

I'm curious; Bush may have been a crappy President, but was he better than the alternative? If you could revote (or vote at all) in the 2000/2004 US Presidential elections, would your vote have changed at all with hindsight? If your votes would not have changed in either election, vote in the 'unchanged' category. If, however, you would change your vote in either 2000 or 2004, vote in the 'changed' category. If you wasted your vote on a third-party candidate, well, congratulations on finding a way to make your vote matter less.

My vote, btw, would probably be unchanged: Gore/Bush.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Valmy

I live in Texas so what I think doesn't matter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

The second term Bush wasn't actually nearly as horrendous as the first term Bush, especially after he was de-testicled following his attempt to end Social Security.  I'm not sure how his second term would stack up against a hypothetical Kerry term, though.  My guess is Kerry would be about as weak and ineffective as Obama.

Grey Fox

Of course. You wouldn't have the craziest deficit ever!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

My letters to the American voter telling him how to vote would have been the same.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

A Kerry victory in 2004 would have meant a withdrawal from Iraq before Teh Surge.  I'm happy with my vote for Bush in 04.

Ed Anger

Still Bush over Al Bore and Longface and his eggplant wife.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

There is a possibility that Kerry or Gore could have been worse Presidents than Bush, but it is hard to see how.  I am not sure that Kerry would have withdrawn from Iraq before the surge, but the odds are good enough to make him worth voting for.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2011, 01:45:25 PM
A Kerry victory in 2004 would have meant a withdrawal from Iraq before Teh Surge.  I'm happy with my vote for Bush in 04.

Did Kerry say he was going to withdraw during the election?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I have a hard time imagining anyone but Bush would have invaded Iraq.  It's not really the most obvious thing someone would do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on September 08, 2011, 01:37:52 PM
I'm curious; Bush may have been a crappy President, but was he better than the alternative? If you could revote (or vote at all) in the 2000/2004 US Presidential elections, would your vote have changed at all with hindsight? If your votes would not have changed in either election, vote in the 'unchanged' category. If, however, you would change your vote in either 2000 or 2004, vote in the 'changed' category. If you wasted your vote on a third-party candidate, well, congratulations on finding a way to make your vote matter less.

My vote, btw, would probably be unchanged: Gore/Bush.

This is hard to answer with the choices listed.  I'd have voted, had I voted, in 2000 for Bush, because I wanted civilizational war, and Bush seemed likelier to deliver that.  However, once that was accomplished, I'd have voted for Kerry in 2004, which I did in fact do and would not change.  In retrospect, Bush was damaging enough that, despite the trade of blood for precious oil/freedom, that I would now cast a vote for Gore in 2000.

It helps that Al Gormless doesn't seem as much of a statue these days, and because he's pimped causes which I care about, e.g., the environment.  I also care a lot less about bombing Muslims than I did in 2000.  Is this because we've already bombed them quite a bit, and now I'm tired of it, and ready to bomb someone else?  The end of a relationship is always hard, I guess.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2011, 02:36:36 PM
Did Kerry say he was going to withdraw during the election?

IIRC correctly he said something about drawing down US troops and replacing them with suddenly enthusiastic Europeans.  :lol:

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm willing to bet one foot rub that he voted for the supplemental appropriation for Iraq that included a deadline for withdrawal before the surge began.  The same one Obama voted for.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 08, 2011, 02:17:49 PM
Still Bush over Al Bore and Longface and his eggplant wife.

You, sir, are...well you know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Rasputin

i am prepared to vote for anybody named after a female body part

when the democrats get around to running Senator Gash, Governor Split-tail, or Represenative Melons for president they will have my vote; until then I'm sticking with the bush
Who is John Galt?

dps

Voted for Bush in 2004 and certainly would do that if I had it to do over again.

Voted for a 3rd party candidate in 2000.  Not sure if I would still do that, but probably.