News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Right to Bear Lasers...

Started by Tonitrus, September 07, 2011, 07:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

http://www.gizmag.com/spyder-3-krypton-laser/19747/

QuotePerhaps you were one of the first people to buy a standard red laser pointer when they first came out. Then, you jumped on the bandwagon when the more powerful green laser pointers showed up. Now, you're just willing to admit it: you want the most powerful handheld laser that it is legally possible to own. Well, according to the folks at Wicked Lasers, that would be their Spyder 3 Krypton. Just how powerful is it? Let's put it this way, the website warns users not to point it at aircraft or satellites.

Yep, with a claimed range of 85 miles (137 km), the top-end model Krypton can apparently shoot its 1-watt beam through the earth's atmosphere and into outer space. It puts out 86 million lux, which reportedly makes its projected dot appear 8,000 times brighter than the Sun. The laser does at least come with safety goggles, plus it has a coding feature that keeps unauthorized users from being able to turn it on.

It is also said to be the first laser to incorporate an internal thermopile detector. This lowers the operating current to stabilize the device's temperature, when excess heat is detected.

Has personal, publicly-available laser technology gone too far with devices that can easily blind other people, and dazzle satellites?

I tend to think it is getting to the point that manufacture and availability needs to be more seriously controlled.

Ideologue

Next, you'll tell me that people shouldn't be allowed to own anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons.  How do we defend ourselves from the government then?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I don't see anything in this about bears.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

You can't legislate for how stupid people are, ..... actually that's a good reason why you should.

IMHO if some uses a powerful laser to attack someone or distract a pilot then they should have the same laser turned on their own eyes; say one eye gone for first offence.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Typing in "Bear lasers", did give me a bunch of Timesque pictures of a bear riding Abe Lincoln.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

dps

Has personal, publicly-available pointy stick technology gone too far with devices that can easily blind other people?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Couldn`t old school laser pointers blind people?
I remember back when they first came out and there was a lot of fuss about that, I remember throwing a kid in a swimming pool for pointing one at me because I was afraid he`d blind me.... Weren`t they banned in the UK for this?
At the least I`m sure there was a lot of panic and fear about it even if they couldn`t actually do so.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2011, 07:19:40 PM
Typing in "Bear lasers", did give me a bunch of Timesque pictures of a bear riding Abe Lincoln.

Why would a bear ride Abe Lincoln?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2011, 07:44:30 PM
I remember back when they first came out and there was a lot of fuss about that, I remember throwing a kid in a swimming pool for pointing one at me because I was afraid he`d blind me.... Weren`t they banned in the UK for this?

I really doubt that you throwing some kid into a swimming pool lead to a ban of laser pointers in Britian.

Josquius

Quote from: dps on September 07, 2011, 07:48:42 PM

I really doubt that you throwing some kid into a swimming pool lead to a ban of laser pointers in Britian.
For the massed fear of blinding I mean.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on September 07, 2011, 07:45:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2011, 07:19:40 PM

Why would a bear ride Abe Lincoln?

Cause some idiot thought it would be cool to draw it that way.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2011, 07:50:30 PM

Probably. You folks are quite fond of banning things that scare you. Which is everything.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2011, 07:14:24 PM
Next, you'll tell me that people shouldn't be allowed to own anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons.  How do we defend ourselves from the government then?
Wisconsin has banned hunting with rail guns.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 07, 2011, 10:21:46 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2011, 07:50:30 PM

Probably. You folks are quite fond of banning things that scare you. Which is everything.

I don't get why they don't just ban fear.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien