And we're back!

Main Menu

Children in 1979 vs 2011

Started by jimmy olsen, September 07, 2011, 06:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2011, 01:41:31 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2011, 01:22:15 AM

Didn't you also learn that when a nuclear attack comes, you need to lie down with your feet towards the eruption and cover your face with a newspaper?

Is this what was taught in Poland?  In the US they taught the Duck and Cover drills which were later mocked for their perceived ineffectiveness.  From what I've come to understand about nuclear weaponry "Duck and Cover" seemed sound advice. True, if you are at ground zero and right underneath the fireball, it won't do much good.  But if you are several miles away ( which most people would likely be), it could very well save your life.
Didn't the Soviets have an extensive Civil Defense effort that built bunkers, practiced evacuations and such?

http://www.airpower.au.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1977/mar-apr/dorough.html

Or was that another hyped ability of theirs that they didn't actually have?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: 11B4V on September 08, 2011, 01:49:36 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2011, 01:32:18 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 07, 2011, 08:10:31 PM
Quote from: sbr on September 07, 2011, 07:59:34 PM
I was 9 in 1979.  I would take off my my bike and my friends and be gone all day with no way to get in touch with anyone or any way for them to find me. 

I get nervous when my high school aged daughters are home 10 minutes late and they both carry cell phones.  :blush:

Where does this fear come from ?

It is parental self-indulgence. Parents have a very strong protective instinct, in recent years this has been given free rein and the counter-balancing need to encourage children to develop independence neglected.

What a broad stroke, sweeping bunch of horse shit.

Much like your reply then  :lol:

Warspite

At the age of seven I was in charge of our house's air raid drills during the first Gulf War.  :smarty:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Richard Hakluyt

Didn't you also learn that when a nuclear attack comes, you need to lie down with your feet towards the eruption and cover your face with a newspaper?

Is this what was taught in Poland?  In the US they taught the Duck and Cover drills which were later mocked for their perceived ineffectiveness.  From what I've come to understand about nuclear weaponry "Duck and Cover" seemed sound advice. True, if you are at ground zero and right underneath the fireball, it won't do much good.  But if you are several miles away ( which most people would likely be), it could very well save your life.

Raz, I visited Hiroshima some years ago, they have an excellent museum there and I was fascinated by a display about people who survived quite close to the blast and others who died at a much greater distance. Ducking under a desk worked surprisingly well, there was a school class where some of them looked and the others got under their desks.........the difference in death rate was stark. A few hundred yards from the blast there was a gas storage tank.......the people who lived in its shadow survived, an entire suburb was protected by a low ridge only about 50 feet high.......and so on.......

11B4V

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2011, 02:15:34 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 08, 2011, 01:49:36 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2011, 01:32:18 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 07, 2011, 08:10:31 PM
Quote from: sbr on September 07, 2011, 07:59:34 PM
I was 9 in 1979.  I would take off my my bike and my friends and be gone all day with no way to get in touch with anyone or any way for them to find me. 

I get nervous when my high school aged daughters are home 10 minutes late and they both carry cell phones.  :blush:

Where does this fear come from ?

It is parental self-indulgence. Parents have a very strong protective instinct, in recent years this has been given free rein and the counter-balancing need to encourage children to develop independence neglected.

What a broad stroke, sweeping bunch of horse shit.

Much like your reply then  :lol:
Quite
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

In the olden days people hade more kids so watching them all was simply impossible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

In 1979 the average IQ of the parent was 26. In 2011 it was 19. 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-19.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 08, 2011, 02:07:39 AM

Didn't the Soviets have an extensive Civil Defense effort that built bunkers, practiced evacuations and such?

Here's an other article on the subject.

:yeahright: :yeahright: :yeahright:
http://www.airpower.au.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1979/mar-apr/wolfe.html
QuoteThe potential lifesaving effectiveness of the Soviet CD program is not a matter of unanimous agreement. However, several studies estimate casualty rates as low as two to three percent of the Soviet population in the event of nuclear war.25
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2011, 03:16:02 AM
In 1979 the average IQ of the parent was 26. In 2011 it was 19. 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-19.

:lol:Nobody's sooo not gonna get that.

Richard Hakluyt

Been a while since that song was out, only the board seniors will get it  :D

Mind you, the average age of this place must be going up steadily  :hmm:

Brazen

Here's the UK's nuclear blast advice, "Protect and Survive". Do take a moment to watch this extract, it's incredibly creepy. The related links have the remainder of the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXx5Y2Fr2bk

As far as I'm aware it was never broadcast in earnest, though this leaflet was published in 1980:

http://scyfilove.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Nuclear-War-Survival-Guide-British-Government.pdf

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 08, 2011, 02:07:39 AM

Or did they just not share with their "allies"?  I wouldn't be surprised.

QuoteIn the olden days people hade more kids so watching them all was simply impossible.

I suspect that you meant that in jest, but there is some truth to it.

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2011, 02:44:54 AM
In the olden days people hade more kids so watching them all was simply impossible.

I wonder if this isn't the best answer yet.  :hmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on September 08, 2011, 07:21:15 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2011, 02:44:54 AM

I wonder if this isn't the best answer yet.  :hmm:

It would have been better if he sold the olde fashioned spelling more. As it stands that could just be a typo.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 07, 2011, 08:15:08 PM
I gave my daughter a puppy recently. When she is 12 years old she will be required to strangle that puppy to death to show her strength. If she cannot, then she will be put to death.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive